London (change)
Today 11°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 3°C
5 messages
13/09/2013 at 14:08

I would like to buy some cloche hoops for my veg garden. I have looked at commercial cloche hoopss and also blue water pipe! Has anyone got an opinion on A) the best cloche hoops to buy and B) the idea of using blue water pipe as cloche hoops!

Thanks for your help.

13/09/2013 at 17:41

I have used clear plastic corrugated sheets 6 ft long from B&Q or builders merchants for many years. Tie some wire or string around the ends to form the cloche shape - tunnel. Place 2 cut to size pieces at either end and fix with small bamboo stakes so it does not become a wind tunnel and they will last you for years.

13/09/2013 at 18:04

I bought a fab plastic sheet cloche from the pound shop! It was very sturdy and certainly did the job.... I upgraded this year and bought x 6 from acicha for £4.00 each!

13/09/2013 at 19:07

Bigolob, I do exactly the same except I made metal loops with horizontal wire bases.  The corrugated sheets then push through.  Great minds I think!

Outdoor girl

Yes, I use blue alkathene piping cutting to 8' long.  I push 30 cm or so canes into each end to push Imto the soil.  Over winter I find this a useful additional protection for my plants.  

13/09/2013 at 22:14

I never thought of plastic corrugated sheets - genius! Thanks Verdun - I wondered how to stuff it into the ground!  Off to B&Q tomorrow...

email image
5 messages