London (change)
Tue 9°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 9°C
3 messages
22/05/2013 at 10:42
last week i had a walk around the allotments here in Tenby and noted the rate of growth on 2 or 3 items ,i noted who top manured last year as i did and who didn't,as dropping trousers and placing ones bum close to the soil to test for temperature is definatly not allowed i plunged my hand about 12/15 inches into the soils,a real difference in soil temperature was more than obvious much warmer for the top manured ones,the reason was pointed out to me by a real old very good allotmeteer that the manure was a bit on the new side when we got it and was still rotting down creating warmth ,better to have well rotted manure he said but the warmth this has produced has in actual fact give us a good start ,spuds and such are racing away well chuffed we are. Good luck all Alan4711
22/05/2013 at 14:06

Sounds very healthy Alan. Is the no bums rule in writing anywhere?

22/05/2013 at 21:24

You would need to be a Terminator to plunge your hand 12/15 inches into my soil without the aid of a pickaxe. I bent my fork trying to dig over the veg plot and that was after 3 years of digging it over! By way of compensation I am building up a nice collection of sandstone and ironstone for construction projects. Maybe a new Great Wall visible from space?

email image
3 messages