London (change)
Today 13°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 7°C
21 to 40 of 50 messages
07/02/2013 at 14:51

This has made my day !  I think CB is great - he came to talk to our local gardening club last year and was fantastic - kept us all hanging on his every word for nearly 3 hours - definitely more to him than just a garden designer.  If you want a book that tells you everything you ever wanted to know about plants and why they behave the way they do then try his "How does your garden grow" book.  Did you know that trees "walk" over a period of years ??

Also wonderful to think there will be more than one gardening programme a week to watch. 

And A-Z still has 20 more weeks to go !

07/02/2013 at 14:59
Image of a walking tree in my head now
07/02/2013 at 15:44

Ents in Lord of the Rings

07/02/2013 at 15:47

Why am I thinking of the singing ringing tree

07/02/2013 at 20:24

Very pleased about this. I love CB on GQT - someone who actually knows what he's talking about and has really practical advice. I do enjoy GW but rarely act on anything I've seen on there, especially since it moved to Monty's garden which is just too far removed from my tiny suburban plot!

07/02/2013 at 21:24
CB makes me think of the CB radio the farmers boys had at school
08/02/2013 at 20:07

Latest scheduling news-Thursday 4th April on BBC Scotland 7.30 -rest of the country the following Sunday morning -no time yet-weeks away but you know

http://www.thebeechgrovegarden.com/

08/02/2013 at 20:10
Thanks Geoff
09/02/2013 at 11:26

That's great news about Chris Beardshaw joining the show. I've watched it for years and am delighted that this year so many more people will get the chance to see it.

10/02/2013 at 16:21

Last year I loved watching Beechgrove garden. I do hope they do not change it too much for the wider audience. I'm on the south coast and still found it applicable.

16/02/2013 at 19:48

Beechgrove goes nationwide on Sunday morning 07 April, time not specified, according to gardening press.  Can't wait.

17/02/2013 at 11:13

Hi Yakram.   Good to see you popping in.   How's tricks?

Very pleased they've got CB for Beechgrove and even more pleased it'l be on nationwide Beeb 2.  GW had better look to its laurels.

18/02/2013 at 13:00

Hi Obelixx - busy as ever - how's gardening life with you?  I agree GW had better pull its welly socks up.

18/02/2013 at 13:15

Things are fine thanks Yakram except that I've been busy having my foot reconstructed so no gardening, dog walking or dancing for some time.   It's going well though and yesterday I had a little potter with a hellebore and a miniature rose and some coriander that all needed potting on.   Should be fit enough to sow seeds in March and start on the weeding and clearing before they do the other foot in April.

Are you still at Tatton?  

19/02/2013 at 19:08

Hi Obelixx - good to hear from you.  I am mainly "Sir Lurkalot" on this board as mostly others have already said what I was going to say.   Good luck with the foot reconstruction; I use MBT footwear to counteract foot pain as 'they' won't operate on mine.  My metal hips are now 5 years old but let me know if I do too much!  Yes, still at Tatton and just finished tying in long rows of summer raspberries before I spend the next few months in the glasshouses.  OH gets his 10 year volunteer badge from the NT this year.  Gardeners World or BBC productions filmed 'the history of the walled garden' here and elsewhere about 10 years ago, so it's time for them to return.  Or maybe we could host a couple of Beechgrove sessions?

19/02/2013 at 19:43

I shall be investing in some MBTs when I know what size I end up being.    The first foot has gone very well but I can't start using it for another couple of weeks so am hobbling in a special boot and with a crutch.

Excellent idea to get GW or Beechgrove to come to Tatton's walled garden.    Lovely idea.     Congrats to OH and you too for carrying on so long.

20/03/2013 at 00:19
Am a great fan of Chris Beardshaw; I love his approach and gardening integrity, just as I love Monty's and Carol's. They're my Gardening Trinity ... head and shoulders above the rest!

I have long felt that Beechgrove has been in need of some new blood. Apart from the occasional eavesdrop, I haven't followed it seriously for years (despite living within 5 miles of Caroline Spray's Garden Centre) as I found it extremely annoying, as was the Potting Shed (their attempt at copying GQT).

If harnessing Chris is an attempt to survive going 'National' (and without someone of his calibre it would be a struggle) I wish them every success . I just hope he's allowed the input he deserves and doesn't end up feeling used and abused

I shall watch with interest
20/03/2013 at 06:18

I love hearing the different accents.

20/03/2013 at 21:11

I love Beechgrove,I caught on to it when I was on holiday in Scotland and then watched it on the I-Player at home in middle England.  I've just said on another thread that GW has become a bit too "posh" for my liking recently.  Far too many large gardens in the South of England and I just can't translate Monty's ideas into my own humble back garden. Beechgrove is much more homespun and more in the spirit of the great and sadly missed Geoff Hamilton with the glaring exception of being defiantly non-organic. Not quite sure how CB will fit in but it will be interesting to see. 

20/03/2013 at 23:00

In fact Monty's garden is in the West Midlands, almost in Wales and gardens in the south are getting smaller with every new build crammed into tiny spaces.  There are large gardens all over the country attached to older houses and terraces are the same up and down the country with tiny yards or gardens depending on which kind of worker the Victorians built them for.

That said, it is certainly true that Monty's style of gardening and planting is not immediately relevant to most ordinary gardeners and especially beginners and people looking for methods and ideas suited to smaller gardens and family life.   However, there are things he does and plants he uses taht can be adpated for many gardens large and small.  It just takes imagination and a bit of cnfidence and trial and error.

He does sow a lot of his plants too which is a good money saving ruse for any f-gardener but he also has teh space for all the different composts, the grit, the seed trays and potting benches which all makes it easy for him.   Not so easy for those of us with smaller spaces and no greenhouse and, unnlike Geoff H, he doesn't show inventive things like GH's free or very cheap to make light box for seedlings and so on and so forth.

Beechgrove is a lot more practical and down to earth and fun too.

21 to 40 of 50 messages