London (change)
Today 17°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
4 messages
12/08/2012 at 20:04
Hello, can anyone help me on how to collect the seeds from foxgloves and poppies, we have grown them for the first time this year so are quite new to this. Thank,you.
12/08/2012 at 20:16
Keep checking the seed pods, when they rattle they are ready to collect. Put the seed heads in a paper bag and store them until they are fully dry.
12/08/2012 at 21:03

Hello, I'm collecting seeds from my plants for next year too. I agree, keep  checking the plants and the seed pots, let them dry out naturally. Collect the seed/seed head in a paper bag and dry them out further. For me I would sow them quite soon after collecting if they are ready.

Foxgloves & poppies have thousand of seeds. My foxgloves seeds are ready now there is going to be so many of them. I plan to snip off the plants and shake it around, and I will still be able to grow some from seed as well. 

I collected some seeds of my ragged robin  a few weeks ago and sowed them........I've got quite few seedlings coming through.

13/08/2012 at 16:33

Let the seed heads get really dry and ready to burst, or just opening,and then shake them out into a bag.  I store mine in those little individual jam pots you get in hotels.  Do make sure they are really ripe and dry before you store or they will get mildewy.  Pansy seeds can be picked when well swollen and left in a jam jar on a sunny windowsill to dry put and burst open - I never buy new seed unless I want a specific colour that I don't have.  I often just sprinkle seed back into the pots or areas where they were growing.

email image
4 messages