Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Courgettes

Hi as i said before first time growing veg i will get about 8 courgettes from one plant is it ok if the flower fallls off when the corgette is  about 2 inches long

JB

• XX Posts: 707

Hi James, I'm growing courgettes as well and the flowers on mine fall off once the courgettes start to develop, doesn't seem to be a problem.

• jamesburkejamesburke Posts: 53

HI Paulah  thankyou no problems then

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

No, that's what they often do, you will probably get more courgettes from the plant as the summer goes on, if you feed and water it - and we get some sunshine.  They can be very prolific producers given the opportunity, but they do need rich feeding - I have grown them on top of a compost heap before - but not where I currently live.  I don't think you can over feed them, pelleted chicken manure is good, and so is seaweed liquid feed for veggies.    Once they really get going, I hope you like courgettes!!

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

In a wet summer, it helps to dislodge the spent flower once the courgette is growing, because otherwise they tend to rot when they get wet. Don't forget to check them every couple of days, otherwise that 3 inch courgette is a 12 inch marrow.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,277
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Tomato feed will be ok. You want flowers (and fruit) . High nitrogen produces too many leaves.  Also phostrogen is good, a spoonful per gallon of water. Courgettes like a lot of water.

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Once courgettes form I feed mine once a week with tomato food. One good plant should give small 2 courgettes a week. .Later in Summer check under leaves that you haven't a large one trying to be a marrow hiding there. They need picking to keep growing.

The flowers will drop off when ready, but as already said remove if sodden. If you fancy a go the flowers fried in batter as the Greeks do are tasty.

Don't spray the leaves with the hose or can, water around the base of the plant.

Last year I resorted to courgette loaf( not brill,) stuffed, griddled, fried, steamed, stir fried etc. I only had 2 plants. Good luck.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,277
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • John HardingJohn Harding Posts: 541

Soiund advice from KEF - keep picking when they are small but big enough to use. This will prompt the plant to produce more. If it's taking all its strength to grow that huge one you haven't noticed under a large leaf the rest will slow down, then when you do pick it the plant will produce more and by the time you've eaten the big one you'll find you've got 5 more big ones that have replaced it.image

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

I froze some of my surplus last year. Just sliced them about 1cm or so and lay them on a flat tray on fast freeze for about 1 - 2 hours. Still good enough for cooking and dry grilling.