London (change)
Today 11°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
19 messages
20/06/2013 at 14:13

Hi as i said before first time growing veg i will get about 8 courgettes from one plant is it ok if the flower fallls off when the corgette is  about 2 inches long

JB

20/06/2013 at 16:32

Hi James, I'm growing courgettes as well and the flowers on mine fall off once the courgettes start to develop, doesn't seem to be a problem.

20/06/2013 at 16:37

HI Paulah  thankyou no problems then

20/06/2013 at 17:04

No, that's what they often do, you will probably get more courgettes from the plant as the summer goes on, if you feed and water it - and we get some sunshine.  They can be very prolific producers given the opportunity, but they do need rich feeding - I have grown them on top of a compost heap before - but not where I currently live.  I don't think you can over feed them, pelleted chicken manure is good, and so is seaweed liquid feed for veggies.    Once they really get going, I hope you like courgettes!!

20/06/2013 at 17:10

In a wet summer, it helps to dislodge the spent flower once the courgette is growing, because otherwise they tend to rot when they get wet. Don't forget to check them every couple of days, otherwise that 3 inch courgette is a 12 inch marrow.

20/06/2013 at 19:41

Hi everyone, first time growing courgettes here also. Starting to see maybe little courgettes with a possibilty of a flower head developing.. Don't have a lot of cash. Bookertoo can I feed them with general feed such as a tomato feed or do they really need what you had suggested?

20/06/2013 at 19:45

Tomato feed will be ok. You want flowers (and fruit) . High nitrogen produces too many leaves.  Also phostrogen is good, a spoonful per gallon of water. Courgettes like a lot of water.

KEF
20/06/2013 at 20:07

Once courgettes form I feed mine once a week with tomato food. One good plant should give small 2 courgettes a week. .Later in Summer check under leaves that you haven't a large one trying to be a marrow hiding there. They need picking to keep growing.

The flowers will drop off when ready, but as already said remove if sodden. If you fancy a go the flowers fried in batter as the Greeks do are tasty.

Don't spray the leaves with the hose or can, water around the base of the plant.

Last year I resorted to courgette loaf( not brill,) stuffed, griddled, fried, steamed, stir fried etc. I only had 2 plants. Good luck.

20/06/2013 at 20:15

Thanks fidget still getting my head round all the different feeds. They get a lot of sun and water, here's hoping for a bumper crop

20/06/2013 at 22:32

Soiund advice from KEF - keep picking when they are small but big enough to use. This will prompt the plant to produce more. If it's taking all its strength to grow that huge one you haven't noticed under a large leaf the rest will slow down, then when you do pick it the plant will produce more and by the time you've eaten the big one you'll find you've got 5 more big ones that have replaced it.

20/06/2013 at 22:55

I froze some of my surplus last year. Just sliced them about 1cm or so and lay them on a flat tray on fast freeze for about 1 - 2 hours. Still good enough for cooking and dry grilling.

21/06/2013 at 08:42

21/06/2013 at 18:51

Thanks for all the brilliant advice Really looking forward to cooking with my first home grown courgettes

21/06/2013 at 19:06

If the weater holds, it shouldn't be long.

21/06/2013 at 19:07

We picked our first 4 this afternoon and cooked them as a veg with our evening meal YumYum!

21/06/2013 at 21:21

Hi all, it's my first time growing courgettes too, one green and one yellow each in it's own biggish patio tub, they do seem to like lots of water and they are growing so fast! no sign of any flowers yet but by the sound of it they don't take long to get going! From 2 plants how many courgettes can I expect?

21/06/2013 at 22:49

It depends on the variety you are growing. Last year was a disaster for courgettes in my garden, cold, too much rain & not enough sun! Year before I grew Partenon and we got 30+ courgettes from each plant. This year I'm growing 'Black Forest F1' and 'Supremo F1'  both from Dobies Seeds of Paignton. I've never grown either before but picked 4 today from Supremo (2 each from 2 plants). The Black Forest haven't flowered at all yet but they are looking very healthy. Black Forest are a trailing variety & Supremo are Bush. Courgettes won't produce as many if you let them grow too big before harvesting them. I like to pick mine when they are around 5-6 inches long. I tried the yellow ones for a couple of years but they were nowhere near as prolific as the Green Partenon so although they look very attractive in the garden I haven't bothered with them this year.

22/06/2013 at 08:11

Hi John, I do not know which varieties these are as they were just labelled green and yellow in my local nursery  I guess I will just have to wait and see and I will harvest at 5 or 6 inches. Thanks for the feedback though....next year I will choose named varieties and do my homework! Live and Learn eh !

22/06/2013 at 09:30

Just a couple of pics of the courgettes + 1 of an Iris that has flowered at last. The Iris usually flowers 1st week in June so it's about 3 weeks late this year.

Black Forest F1

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/26013.jpg?width=384&height=350&mode=max

Supremo F1

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/26014.jpg?width=384&height=350&mode=max

Iris (I don't know the variety)

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/26015.jpg?width=384&height=350&mode=max

email image
19 messages