London (change)
Today 23°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 14°C
5 messages
14/07/2012 at 09:19

I live in Suffolk and yesterday was surprised to find Cowslips in flower in my garden.  I don't know if this is normal but I don't remember ever having Cowslips in flower this time of year before. 

14/07/2012 at 10:07

Linda, Cowslips are a Primula Veris a spring flower normally grows in water meadow type fields.
Yours could well be a late Primula Florindae a giant cowslip which grows and flowers in summer, (what summer you may ask).
Primula comes in many shapes and forms a lot of them yellow and you can tell by the way the flowers form what they are. Helodoxa (Candelabra) speaks for itself, clusters of flowers grow from the stalk  to the top and hang down where as Veris (cowslip) flowers at the top of the stem and hangs down,
Yours could possibly a bird dropped seed, I encourage birds and find all kinds of strange plants coming up mainly weeds but the odd one I keep.

Frank.

14/07/2012 at 10:10

no.. mine are flowering again now as are my  mums, so think it is the fact of cold weather then a bit of heat again.. they all mixed up.. arent we all with the weather at the min..

i couldnt belive it when i saw it flowering again.. and i have just sowen more seeds for next spring.. so doing well with them..

14/07/2012 at 10:12

Thank you Frank, Yes, mine is definately a Veris.  They flowered in the Spring and then finished and have all flowered again. Not complaining just couldn't remember them flowering in the summer before. 

14/07/2012 at 18:49

Probably like us, the poor things can't remember having a year like this before, I refuse to call it a summer, it just ain't!

email image
5 messages