Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Daffodils in pots

Good morning!

I am growing pots of daffodils for table decorations for my wedding at the very beginning of April. After last year's very cold weather, I thought this would be fine. However, it's been so mild this winter, in fact we've only had our 3rd frost this morning, that they are already an inch out of the soil and growing like billy-o! Is there any way (aside from putting them in the fridge - does this work by the way?!) I can at least slow them down a little bit? I've currently put them in the dark, cold shed at the bottom of the garden, but am not convinced that will work... Roughly how many weeks does it take for daffs to flower after they've come out of the ground?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated or we may have to resort to growing some other yellow flowers for the tables!

Jo

• I fear that your final sentence is the answer! The daffs will flower when they usually do, depending on species/variety.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Sorry, but you should have chosen a flower that will be in bloom in April.  I would go and consult a garden centre and see what they recommend.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I'd go down the GC just before the event and get what looks good.

You might be lucky with your daffs but not if you keep them in the dark, they'll go all straggly and yellow

In the sticks near Peterborough