Start a new thread

1 to 20 of 36 replies

B3

Why does a naked Christmas tree only look creepy after you've removed the lights?

What do you do about cards from people who really meant it? It seems disrespectful to chuck them .

What message for next year would you leave yourself in the decoration box?

Mine is,"It's only a @@@@@@@ roast dinner with sprouts! "

I

Obelixx

No sprouts here!   Possum and I detest them. OH buys himself some every Xmas and then forgets them.  

As for decs next year - more fairy lights on the tree and more fairy lights in general.

B3

I'm not keen but they're only little  concentrated cabbages.  Too much of  a good thing?

Obelixx

No.  Different flavour, much more sulphuric and bitter.  Love cabbage though as long as it's not fermented kimchi or sauerkraut!

B3

B

Boiled bacon, pointy or Savoy cabbage, waxy potatoes and butter -nectar!

Advertisement

chicky

Thought I was the only one who left messages for themselves in the decoration box   Mine are usually to do with how many crackers/christmas cards are left over from last year and where I have hidden the multi gang extension lead 

Love sprouts, halved lightly steamed butter salt and pepper would have them with every meal. The trees (two of them) went back in the boxes Monday and I ask why do they never fit back fully, there is always a bit stuck out. Cards go out after my Daughter opened a bedside cupboard and many years cards fell out, they were black bagged and disposed off. The extension lead and decorations now go in there with room for my Birthday cards (do not tell Daughter).

Had a house full yesterday including George one and a half years old, he had all the old toys out and loved it then went to sleep standing up with his head on my knee, that is what Christmas is about the future. My written promise is to get that Telegram from the Queen, a few years to go and it could well be King Charles, I thought that was a Spaniel? We should have Robot Gardeners, automatic double diggers, Lawn flatteners and weed zappers, what will there be for us old hands to do I ask.

Frank.

sprouts from the garden lightly steamed, halved, then stirred up with fried bacon and chestnuts - yum

sprouts from the shop - having been cut days before and all the sugars gone just that horrible bitter taste left - not under any circumstances, thank you 

I burned the Christmas holly on New Year's Day, in accordance with family tradition. I slowly take the decs down, leaving the lights til last on twelfth night. 

This year I cut a load of flowers in mid-summer to dry so I'd have something to replace the Christmas decorations with and they are looking great 

No messages to my future self this year - I don't seem able to see very far ahead at the moment - maybe things will be clearer by then.

Obelixx

I used to grow a few sprout plants for OH so he'd have fresh and organic and I still didn't like the flavour.  However, we discovered flower sprouts a couple of years ago and they're lovely.  Got some growing at the mo and now we've had some rain they should do well - if they haven't been flattened by the gales.

Once the decs are down I like the fresh, clean look but I will no doubt be thinking of flowers or some such for Easter.   Used to do an Easter "tree" for Possum when she was little - branches from the garden spring prunings hung with little eggs and some bunnies.

Doghouse Riley

This is a "sprout-free" message.

I took the lights and  cards down New Year's Day. No Christmas tree, so no chance of finding a few pine needles in odd places in July.

Some friends and relatives say they keep the decoupage cards my wife makes they get sent every year and bring them out again the following Christmas.

She goes through those cards we receive and keeps anything worth cutting out, even something very small if she has an idea where it can be used again on another card next Christmas..

B3

That's a great idea DR - for those with the patience and artistic talent

Mum used to recycle Christmas cards into wallets to keep receipts, or what have you (just sellotape up the side and the bottom - not too time consuming) if she especially liked the card or the sender. Or you can do a less creative version of Mrs DR's approach and make next year's gift labels by cutting bits out of this year's cards, making a hole and adding string - a good job for bored children at the weekend 

We put our cards into a recycle box where my OH works. I used to keep "special"ones but you can only keep so much stuff & we have far too much "toot" here as it is.

Sprouts- I agree with Raisingirl  home grown fresh picked after a frost lovely. Shop bought bitter horrid.

B3

An acquaintance bought some small 'recycle for Christmas' labels and stuck them on the front of the card he got from this year's prospective recipient last year.

Badly explained-but anyway,  you got your own card back is what I'm trying to say

From what I can see there seem to be fewer options for recycling Crimbo cards this year.  M&S and Sainsbury's are taking them.  Sainsbury's only until the 8th Jan.

Advertisement

josusa47

My late uncle Jack once sent us "McTavish's everlasting greetings card".  Inside was a list of tick boxes: Christmas, birthday, anniversary, condolences, congratulations etc, and an instruction to use soft pencil so it could be erased.  He enclosed a personal message in very small writing, on the edge of a piece of that horrid crunchy toilet paper we used to use.  That card and piece of paper went back and forth between our families for donkey's years. The toilet paper had so many messages we had to start using different colours so you could decipher the latest message.  I never saw another one: the greetings card industry wouldn't shoot itself.  But it's an idea that might be taken up by some of the hobby card-makers.  With or without toilet paper!

Doghouse Riley
josusa47 says:

My late uncle Jack once sent us "McTavish's everlasting greetings card".  Inside was a list of tick boxes: Christmas, birthday, anniversary, condolences, congratulations etc, and an instruction to use soft pencil so it could be erased.  He enclosed a personal message in very small writing, on the edge of a piece of that horrid crunchy toilet paper we used to use.  That card and piece of paper went back and forth between our families for donkey's years. The toilet paper had so many messages we had to start using different colours so you could decipher the latest message.  I never saw another one: the greetings card industry wouldn't shoot itself.  But it's an idea that might be taken up by some of the hobby card-makers.  With or without toilet paper!

See original post

Actually I remember seeing one of those. I don't think they would have made much difference to the card market.

I have such mixed feelings at de-Christmas time. I feel that once New Year has arrived that the Christmas decorations look a bit out of place, however, I really miss the fairy lights and colourful accessories once they are gone. 

As for cards, they are recycled into the neice' craft box, to make place cards, gift tags and other craft-y things next year. 

My message is: "Did the wish come true and everybody has agreed not to buy presents this year?".

(For the record, I do like giving presents but it just seems a bit like going through the motions at Christmas. It all seems a bit diluted, particularly if there are multiple people opening multiple presents - no one really seems to say thank you 'properly'. Sorry to sound grumpy.)

Last edited: 03 January 2018 19:43:53

AuntyRach says:

My message is: "Did the wish come true and everybody has agreed not to buy presents this year?".

Last edited: 03 January 2018 19:43:53

See original post

Me my Sister & BIL agreed to stop doing presents a few years ago as we were more or less just swapping vouchers & it seemed pointless, we still do Birthdays though. We still do for my wife's side of the family but I would be happy just to confine it to the grandchildren & their cousins. 

Obelixx

Given the lousy weather, I suggested to OH we might take down our decs this pm.  "Not 12th night yet!"

Looks like I'll have to put up with them till Sat am then but I shall make him help with the cleaning.  He can drive a feather duster and then his bloody Dyson when everything's been put away!