London (change)
Today 15°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 17°C / 13°C
1 to 20 of 21 messages
15/12/2013 at 18:04

I'm just reading my weekly gardening magazine and read with great sadness that Dr David Hessayon is to stop writing his wonderful gardening, 'Expert' books.

He says the reason is nobody reads gardening books anymore and that people can Goggle what they need to know.

I for one think its sad that our great men and women of gardening think they have nothing more to offer because of the internet.

Surely the two can live side by side, I need the garden book to read and re-read and then I need the internet, e.g. You Tube, to show me the procedure.

If your reading this Dr, please don't give up writing, we still need you in book, Kindle and I-pad format! You have so much more to tell us!

15/12/2013 at 18:09

I couldn't do without my books. Internet is Ok but books will always have a placefor me.

On the other hand Dr H must be nearing 90 and deserves some retirement

15/12/2013 at 18:38

Hi nutcutlet, 

I think its a wake up call for all of us to value our pro-gardeners and support them through media sites, book and DVD sales.

15/12/2013 at 19:21

I value books by garden writers that can put over information clearly, like Dr H and those who can write, like Christopher Lloyd.

I don't value those with half a page of large print saying how pretty it looks, a glossy photo and a celebrity name on the cover

15/12/2013 at 23:04

I'm going to be on the look out for Margery Fish books about cottage gardening mentioned by Carol Klein on Great British Garden.....the other evening. They sound right up my street. I love a good gardening book or two or three!

16/12/2013 at 00:10

I haven't many books by Dr H but flick through The Veg & Herb Expert regularly..

I have heaps of cook books but The Garden to Kitchen Expert by Dr. H is fab because it focus's on stuff grown in the garden without the need to buy lots of extra ingredients.

Sad to hear he's not going to write anymore but what he has written will inspire people for years to come

16/12/2013 at 14:03

I always use his indoor book on plants its been so informative and easy to use.

16/12/2013 at 14:08

Dr. H's book on veg is my bible

16/12/2013 at 14:14

Artjak - check your PMs 

16/12/2013 at 20:29

I too enjoy well written gardening books.  Dr. Hessayon's were so useful to me as a beginner.  I guess his time is up now, alas.

16/12/2013 at 21:20

His Fruit Expert is the bible for me. Without it I would know nothing at all about my apples. It was fromthis book that I picked my latest tree "katy".

17/12/2013 at 16:06

Dove, thank you; am still not getting notifications of anything, but I believe they are trying hard to fix this issue for everyone.

21/12/2013 at 22:35

I've got a mountain of gardening books, including Dr H's.  It's far more relaxing to sit and flick through a book than to search the internet.  If you have a specific query the 'net is brilliant, but for general reference give me the book anytim.

22/12/2013 at 09:09

I agree KT. I wouldn't be without my books

22/12/2013 at 09:57

I to love to  graze though a good gardening book I do own some of Dr Hessayon books including lawn and greenhouse expert In fact as soon as I bough my greenhouse I went out and bought his greenhouse expert I shall be adding the Veg & herb expert to my own collection

He will be missed but like Nutcutlet I wouldn't be with out my books and a good coffee when I need to look up a flower or how to do this 'n' that

Clueless

22/12/2013 at 09:58

His books were some of the first ones I owned. Always full of useful info.

22/12/2013 at 22:22

I too love my  gardening books, especialy now when  we can't get in the garden.

i sit looking at the pictures of borders and flowers for ideas for new plantings next season

22/12/2013 at 22:40

I prefer books too KT but was thinking of getting a kindle, only because I feel I'm falling behind with tecnology and a kindle is alot lighter to travel with, I wouldn't dream of taking a gardening book on my jollies but do take a couple of novels to read whilst relaxing. 

A bit off topic but does anyone rate Kindles? Can you purchase Dr H's books for them?... and do you get the pictures on a kindle as you would in a book!.      

23/12/2013 at 14:20

Hi Zoomer44

I have a Kindle, its only OK for novels or bulky history books. Mine is only in black and white. I still buy physical books for gardening. I buy most of my books second hand, if it gets wet or dirty, no hard shakes, if you get a kindle wet, drop it or lose it that's a couple hundred quid up the spout.

23/12/2013 at 17:51

I've got the Kindle Paperwhite which is fine for reading but useless with photos.  I use it instead of taking 'proper' books on holiday etc, but wouldn't even want to use a tablet with colour screen as my main source.  Give me the physical book any time.

1 to 20 of 21 messages