London (change)
Today 22°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 15°C
17/11/2012 at 14:10

Posh names for goldfish, Becks.

Our butcher used to have a tank of goldfish in his shop (probably  not allowed now) and they were enormous. I've got a pond and the biggest goldfish are only about 5 inches. Maybe the heron gets the bigger ones.

Nerdy, Geoff, never. Just informative. 

17/11/2012 at 14:16

If goldfish were allowed to have a trip in a dishwasher, or similar gadget, then the circulating water would give them the opportunity to do some real swimming, and get some real exercise. They might enjoy it. They deserve a little excitement now and again.

I expect they spend their days observing the antics in the Jess household. Could be entertaining for them, I suppose.

17/11/2012 at 14:28

Becks -you could have taken the down to the local stream-the nets again not the goldfish

If ours need a big clean-out-they have a swim in the bath

17/11/2012 at 14:32
sotongeoff wrote (see)

.. ours .. have a swim in the bath

That's very thoughtful, and the mark of an owner sensitive to his pets' needs and feelings.

17/11/2012 at 14:36

Jess named them Pam! After two singers she loves.

Yes, they do observe, and they are never bored! Plenty to watch in this lively house! If she goes near the bowl, they both swim at the glass to greet her! They are happy little chappies!

Our local stream is Chasewater Geoff. They would be churned up with the jet skiers!!

17/11/2012 at 14:39

They may not be chappies- could be chappiesses-how do you tell? or a chap and a chappess

17/11/2012 at 14:54

I don't know how you tell to be honest! Ha ha ha. You're the nerd, find out!

17/11/2012 at 15:02

http://www.bristol-aquarists.org.uk/goldfish/info/sexing-fs.htm

My e-bay item ends in 4 minutes-no bids

17/11/2012 at 15:15

It didn't sell-never mind

17/11/2012 at 15:24

Oh dear, I think I have two gay fish!! They both chase each other!! (Like we didn't already know Ricky was gay! )

17/11/2012 at 15:28

Ooh-err-do they like the songs of Shirley Bassey at all?

17/11/2012 at 15:30

Ha ha ha! No, Latin American obviously! They love a bit of salsa!

17/11/2012 at 15:32

Back again. OH still playing with phone!

Becks there's large goldfish swimming around in the canal near to OH's factory. I've seen it!

We now have several boxes of tiles in either the porch or hall, plus 2 bags of tile cement/grout. The boxes of stuff destined for a charity collection- oops need to organise asap- are 1 still in hall, & 2 in lounge, just in the right place to keep bumping into! Well I was frantically moving stuff out of the way for OH who was carrying heavy boxesof tiles. All being well shall sort out either tonight or tomorrow she says.

Daughter awake & up, so we can be noisy again!

Think OH & me having a car picnic again tomorrow! Due to be sunny so OH would like to 'play' with his early Christmas pressie- a special viewfinder for his new camera. Dunham again I think, but early so get there before the crowds of parents that think it's a good idea to take child, usually badly behaved, plus motorised scooter/bike etc on a 'walk' in the country park! Walk to me means legs & feet!

All the maltesers gone then Geoff?  Are you paying any dental bills IF I do eat a Mars? J.

17/11/2012 at 15:35

G'day all. Sorry late signing in

Last night was soo slow I gave up trying to stay in contact. 

Guess there are no Maltesers left 

Love the dog Khan and his softy, used ti have a cat that walked around with balls of wool. in the end had to have one fro her and one for me to knit.

Local pond in nearby village gets stocked up by the locals when they get fed up with goldfish. They do very well there until Mr Heron comes a-calling.

I've just been to Swindon and back. Amazing cloud patterns, dark cumulus with bright blue sky and aircraft trails above. Missed the rain.

Come backto find bird feeders empty,a couple on the lawn. What have they been up to?

Inside that copy of Garden News there was abird feeder with a goldfinch and another type of bird. What is it please?

As for MD, well, mmmm, was not too pleased when he came back, but better than others. Thing is he never thinks on a small scale for smaller gardens - compost being one thing and ohe stuff. I will watch articles with interest

Did you know they say a goldfish has a 2 second memory!!??

17/11/2012 at 15:35

Then that settles it Becks-they are friends of Dorothy-I fear they will never reproduce-they will be buying babies over t'internet

17/11/2012 at 15:38

Afternoon all - lovely day it's been here.  Here is my tale on the subject of pet fish.

Someone thought it would be fun to give my son a goldfish for his 21st birthday - just before he left home - and 9 years later I am still looking after her. Don't know if it's a she but we call her Natalie.  She spends her days suspended vertically in the corner of her tank but gets over excited when I feed her any vine weevils I find.

Off to read the rest of the posts now .....

17/11/2012 at 15:45

We had one (goldfish) called Blackie as he had a small black spot on his head. Left a lad tp lloka fter him and  when we cames back there was still a fish but no back spot We thought it a great joke, never told our son whose fish it was, but he worked it out in the end!

17/11/2012 at 15:45

Sorry about your book, Geoff. does that mean we won't be getting a Christmas present from you now? Were you a fan of Jimmy  then to have bought his book?

Aaah Caz get Natalie a boyfriend, or take her over to Becks for a playdate.

17/11/2012 at 15:46

Boys with toys Jo-boys with toys..............................

I was going to reply to Bjay-now what was it I was going to say?..............................

I was going to reply to Bjay-now what was it I was going to say?..............................

I was going to reply to Bjay-now what was it I was going to say?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I was going to reply to Bjay-now what was it I was going to say?...........................

17/11/2012 at 15:48

Friend bought her goldfish a larger tank. They would swim up to the position of edge of the previous, smaller tank, then turn round & repeat the proccess t'other way! Hysterical to watch.

Bjay- any squirrels around? IME they will snaffle any feeders unsecured  to branch/holder & eat the contents. We completely lost part of one of those that are supposed to prevent squirrels by a 'tube' coming down over the nuts. Never found the innards! J.