London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 16°C
21/06/2012 at 19:09

Well, we may have escaped the worst weather here today. Not tomorrow by the latest local forecast! Oh well, wonder if the remaining bean plants will survive a slimey attack with all this wet weather? & as for the sweetpeas........!

About half of my dahlia plants, in the borders have been 'got'. Wonder why some & not others close by? That's why my 'choice' ones get grown in pots- but even one of those has been attacked a bit. Moving it to another part of the patio usually helps them regrow new leaves etc- as if the slimey 'b's dont go that way!

Have sourced quite a choice of 'bar' stools, ranging in price from £25-£59. Tesco do 'a pack of 2', but I dont want 2! Wish Ikea had in store the one they've got on-line, it's almost an exact match, style-wise, to our decent (Nan's) one. Decisions, decisions- somehow I can see me not bothering & just keep reminding OH not to use the old set of steps as steps, just as a stool. J.

21/06/2012 at 19:26

Just had cauliflower cheese with sausages-more strawberries with homemade strawberry ice cream.

More doom and gloom- now I am losing minutes of daylight per day-will soon be looking very pasty.

Am planning my Wombledon trip-possibly for Tuesday-coach to Victoria and bus to Wombledon-probably much cheaper that petrol/parking.

21/06/2012 at 19:30

I have just had an email from Daniel saying that it is not too late to sow climbing beans Bean guru is this true? and carrots?

What is the purpose of a slug, did we establish that?

21/06/2012 at 19:34

Sow climbing beans? Totally 'p'd off with mine- only 1 or 2 plants managing to climb the wigwam, none of extra sown shown signs of germination - probably been munched beneath ground! As for the sweetpeas.....dont tell David! Am at the 'why do I bother stage'! J.

21/06/2012 at 19:37

Slugs have two purposes -to eat all the nice plants instead of the weeds and to be thrown into next doors garden-their only ambition to get a nice house like Mrs Snail

In my opinion-but what do I know-it is not too late to sow beans- they will flower until the first frost lets say October at the earliest that is a good 3 and a half months away-bean guru says go for it -but we do need warmth

Are you e-mail terms with editor does he send you a Christmas card?

21/06/2012 at 19:42

I have just sown some more Runner beans and Sweetcorn 

Pam x

21/06/2012 at 19:46

OK I take that as a consensus and I will sow some tomorrow.

Pam how do you get to Cornwall?

Dan emails me every couple of days

Jo are you organic?

21/06/2012 at 20:00

Am I organic? No, not really as do use glyphosate & Provado sometimes. Getting more that way though, as find forget to do any repeat applications that may be due. Laziness too, anything for an easy (ha) life.

Do use copper tape & copper strips around pots & vunerable plants. Know that no point in buying fancy Campanulas at Tatton show- slug magnets in this garden. Have a couple of the very tall ones that do survive ok, but others forget it. Oh do have the rampant ground cover/scrambling one that always flowers & then we get torrential rain- this year as normal!

Never remember to check/redo the slug trap behind the hosta pots. Dont use the organic pellets that much- except this year, until I decided I didnt want any probs for 'hog'. Hope he/she keeps out of next doors' garden as it often looks as if got 'blue-spot measles'!

Ok, may try some more beans direct- once it stops raining, being a bit of a fair weather gardener. J.

21/06/2012 at 20:39

Jo I was just curious, my garden is normally very dry, so the slugs this year have been a bit of a surprise.

21/06/2012 at 21:32

Is there a slug heaven?

21/06/2012 at 21:45

Slug heaven appears to be in my garden.   I am sowing more beans practically every week.  Yesterday I spotted a little bean plant about 1" high and by this morning it had been eaten. 

21/06/2012 at 22:03

KG that is so sad

22/06/2012 at 05:14

Have just returned from my town trip,and I am knackered. But good news--I don't need new glasses yet-they fixed the old ones! The money I saved there ended up going on new tires for my car, plus some necessary maintenance. Did a HUGE shopping--and resisted all the plants, except for one small pot of black petunias. Couldn't resist--I'm a sucker for dark plants.Oh- and a pot of basil MAY have snuck in there too.

22/06/2012 at 05:27
kate1123 wrote (see)

OK I take that as a consensus and I will sow some tomorrow.

Pam how do you get to Cornwall?

Dan emails me every couple of days

Jo are you organic?

We are going with our Son and DIL, Kate, so they will be doing all the driving

22/06/2012 at 06:53

Watch out for the peacocks!

22/06/2012 at 06:54

That comment was for Inka BTW.  The quote thingy isn't working.

Does anyone else have a lot of technical issues with this board?  I get them all the time and have to go out & come in again.

22/06/2012 at 07:02

I have noticed I can't 'edit' - just get an oops message

Pam x

22/06/2012 at 07:04

Koalaggirl, for me it's still yesterday--about 11 pm. I'm tired but wired, if you know what I mean. Why is ferry travel so wearying, when all you do is sit still for hours?

I quite like peacocks--from a distance, they seem to be calling for help, though. We have some free ranging ones on the island; wonder that the raccoons or mink don't get them.

22/06/2012 at 07:07

I read somewhere on line recently that putting a piece of sandpaper wider than the base under pots will deter slugs. It might work for the little guys, but methinks the giant banana slug would laugh at it! Worth a try? Cheaper than copper tape.

22/06/2012 at 07:34

This board has a lot of techie issues a fix has been promised but it seems very slooooowly

Pam who baby-sits the garden in you absence -it seems a hell of a responsibility?

More pain in the night-and showers for later-it has been windy there are a lot of iceberg rose petals in the street-it looks like a wedding party-nutty Nora will have apoplexy- there are some on her grass!!

Coffee time