London (change)
Today 27°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
26/02/2014 at 17:33

I have just planted mine from the seeds I collected in October.  This is the first time I have grown from  seed I planted half in seed compost and the other half in general compost and they have both begun to show.   Bit of an experiment but so far so good for both.   Both are on the back bedroom windowsill so getting the rays and heat from the house.   Once they come through do they need the cold then to continue growth.   I do have an unheated GH, so could move them into there.   Any recommendations.     

26/02/2014 at 17:56

I sowed my seeds on 7th February. So far in the last week 8 out of 36 have germinated. They are on a windowsill in a room which is a steady 15°. Do you think the others will germinate? Should I sow more?

I've been looking back over this thread to see what others have done and I find it a bit confusing the way people use sow and plant. I thought seeds are sown and plants are planted. I kept thinking people were planting their baby sweet pea plants when they were sowing their seeds!

26/02/2014 at 19:20

Susan - I must have said several times since the start of this thread that sweet peas are really hardy (that's why they are designated (HA) Hardy Annuals and just need a little germination warmth before being transferred to cool conditions.....so your plan is sensible.

Lizzie - 7 to 21 days is normally the time it takes for SP seed to germinate, so I would guess yours are doing okay.....In my experience, those geminating in 7 days have been kept too warm and will most likely be leggy. Those germinating in 21 (or more) make for much stronger plants.

I agree, incorrect use of the terms 'planting' & 'sowing' does lead to confusion, but that applies to other threads too.....hope I haven't been guilty.

26/02/2014 at 19:31

That may well be me getting planting and sowing confused, apologies if it was and hope I can be excused as a 'newbie'  

Anyway, in the next couple of days I will be SOWING some more seeds and PLANTING my seedlings, David when do the seedlings need to be repotted to bigger pots?

26/02/2014 at 19:38

"David when do the seedlings need to be repotted to bigger pots?"

The idea is to sow the seed in pots deep enough for them to stay in until they are planted out.....that's certainly how it is if you're using those black polythene tubes from Eagle SPs.

Perhaps worth noting here, that sweet pea seedlings don't like root disturbance.

26/02/2014 at 19:43

I've planted them in quite deep paper pots I made and now you've mentioned it I do remember the root disturbance bit and that is why I put them in paper pots to start with!!!  Feel a tiny but stupid now -  sorry to be a bit dim, I've obviously spent far too long in the sun this afternoon and my brain isn't used to it 

26/02/2014 at 19:57
Tracey-Newbie wrote (see)

I've planted them in quite deep paper pots I made and now you've mentioned it I do remember the root disturbance bit and that is why I put them in paper pots to start with!!!  Feel a tiny but stupid now -  sorry to be a bit dim, I've obviously spent far too long in the sun this afternoon and my brain isn't used to it 

Tracy, please be assured in some instances my patience is infinite....and this just happens to be one of them....so don't worry!

26/02/2014 at 20:54
Thank you David......just as well where my memory is concerned at times!!
26/02/2014 at 22:23

Could David have been a schoolmaster in a previous life? But I don't think he was as he has told us, but my memory is failing.

26/02/2014 at 22:37

Lizzie, with all his patience and answering the same questions over and over I think you may be right 

26/02/2014 at 22:42

Now, my memory is quite good (photographic? ) which prompts me to remind you that I've already said on this forum that I was 'an unskilled labourer's assistant'.  

26/02/2014 at 22:53

That may have been before my time David, being a 'newbie' with a poor memory 

28/02/2014 at 07:43

planted my seeds yesterday, all in dining room,around 15c our house v cold esp in room where i've turned off radiator- we don't use it except v occasionally so ok to leave ot cool, wonder if i should have watered...i did but compost was fairly damp..btw tracey i'm obviously newbie too, this year i got mr fothergills seeds-5 different varieties- last year i got 99p spencer mix thay did great hoping for even better this year, david you should bring out a little book!

28/02/2014 at 08:00

Another dedicated thread. ,picking up a tip or two even though I've grown them for few years now. ,

Mine are currently outside.....for couple of weeks now amd potted up. Mild here ....except for those storms 

dsvid, I usually mix dried manure and fish blood and bone when planting out.  Good?  

28/02/2014 at 09:10

Louise - Your seed compost needs be moist for successful germination, but not soaking wet.

Not sure about bringing out a 'little book'......I'm quite happy just to pass on the knowledge I have gained over many years.

Verdun - I usually prepare the ground for my own SPs in the autumn, this involves deep digging & incorporating well rotted manure....I'm sure your system would work quite well.

02/03/2014 at 11:54

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/38654.jpg?width=276&height=350&mode=max

Ok, so these are my sweet peas this morning (excuse the mess I had to squeeze them in the garage!).  My question is on pinching out, something I have never been very good at.  Does it need doing now, if so where?  If not when does it need doing?

Thanks.

02/03/2014 at 19:32

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/DavidKnapper/DSCN0624.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/DavidKnapper/DSCN0625.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/DavidKnapper/DSCN0626.jpg

Looking a tad drawn tbh, Tracy.....never mind, hope you soon have your cold greenhouse.

Anyway, re pinching-out, I did these pics for illustration purposes ages ago.

Pic 1 plant before pinching, pic 2 plant after pinching & pic 3 the pinched-out tip.

02/03/2014 at 21:02

Hmmmm........they don't look like yours do they David, presumably that because they germinated too quickly?  Are they still worth keeping or should I bite the bullet and do a new lot with the ones you recommended (I have another hundred seeds to go at!) These I am going to plant outside as it's too late for indoors now and the greenhouse still not up.  I am going to save at least half for October sowing though as I will by then have the greenhouse up!!!

02/03/2014 at 21:13

Tracy.as you know I try to give as much encouragement as I can here, but I have to be honest, otherwise I'm letting people down.

Yes, they are very much worth keeping and will probably go on to make nice plants, but I can see that they are being drawn to the light and need putting somewhere cool with good all round light.

Wait until they have a couple of pairs of leaves, then nip out the tops....this will encourage them to bush out.

02/03/2014 at 21:19

That's a problem at the moment with still not having my GH up  I do keep turning them round.  Hopefully the GH will be up this week, we were going to do it today but it has rained most of the day. Thanks again and I do appreciate your honesty, after all I am very much learning and you are the expert