London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 17°C
13/03/2014 at 19:28

Thank you David

13/03/2014 at 19:40

Hi David.l've decided to grow using the cordon method.l had far too many for the house last year.My seeds are about 6inches tall and have been outside in a sheltered spot for 2 weeks.Can l plant them in the ground now? The roots are growing out of the bottom of the bag.Also when do l start snipping the tendrils off.

13/03/2014 at 20:08

Hi, pinkquartet....This thread is rather long now, so I can understand if anyone misses things I have posted. However, I did post a piece on cordon growing on page 23.

I would imagine (if the soil is workable) they could be planted out now.......try to protect against cold winds until they have become established.

13/03/2014 at 20:14

Thanks David will go back and look at it.

13/03/2014 at 21:00
Well 2 of the ones I planted out yesterday haven't got eaten but they are broken Oh well, just as well they were only cheap and I have a back up plan!!
13/03/2014 at 21:03
Tracey-Newbie wrote (see)
Well 2 of the ones I planted out yesterday haven't got eaten but they are broken Oh well, just as well they were only cheap and I have a back up plan!!

Oh dear!  Did you support them with a few twiggy bits, Tracy.....and how's the new greenhouse progressing?

13/03/2014 at 21:18

Hmmm, no and don't ask  I wasn't sure what you meant the other day re the twiggy bits as I've never seen/done that.  Keeping everything crossed that the forecast for weekend stays the same or better as no rain and free all weekend so it's operation GH full steam ahead 

13/03/2014 at 22:22

Good luck for the weekend, Tracy. Don't be disheartened by your present SP efforts. it was always going to be difficult without even the basics.

Btw, 'twiggy bits' are,  erm just bits of twig pushed into the soil around the plants to stop them flopping over.

13/03/2014 at 22:25

I don't think I've got any twiggy bits, they've all gone I the fire  Will have a look tomorrow, what a muppet I am LOL.

13/03/2014 at 22:34

I have a large hazel hedge at the bottom of my garden and snip a few twiggy bits from that.....perhaps put your secateurs in your pocket, next time you walk the dogs.

13/03/2014 at 22:35

You are the second person today encouraging me to 'steal' other people' plants David....LOL, I thought the gardening world was all sweet and innocent 

14/03/2014 at 08:57

hope you find some twigs tracey, there's a large tree in frtont of our house and with the wind last month i have far too many twigs! my seedlings are between 2-4 inches and taller ones have 2 leaves, outsie now in plastic storage boxes, got greenhouse out of box...that's as far as i got, it's in cellar now waiting for me to get half an hour to put it up, david so sorry you have to keep repeating- this is why i think you should bring out a book/leaflet!!- when do i pinch out tip and what exactly is the tip i should pinch out?

14/03/2014 at 09:00

Louise, if you go back 3-4 pages there are some pics that David kindly posted when I asked the same question, I think we pinch them out to make them more bushy and I think there has to be 2 full sets of leaves but the pic shows it  I take it you aren't holding baby at the moment 

14/03/2014 at 09:25

Morning, Tracy & Louise.

Louise - Tracy is quite right, I posted pictures of the nipping-out process on page 24 of this thread.

Please don't worry about me having to repeat myself.....it really doesn't bother me.

Book/leaflet, not sure about that.....there people in the sweet pea growing fraternity far more able & qualified than me.

14/03/2014 at 09:48
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/DavidKnapper/DSCN0632.jpg

....further to my previous post, I'm posting this pic to show how the pinching-out process has encouraged new shoots to grow from the base, thus bushier plants.

PS. Two plants in the pot and the new shoots are the paler green ones either side.

15/03/2014 at 06:48

thanks, mine only have 2 leaves at top i understand why, just practice harder than theory.. tracey i'm always holding baby and keeping toddler amused with mr men on other screen..!!!- neither of mine will/would tolerate not being held for long! if he's awake and not feeding i can lean over and use..shock!! both hands!! i can reach the question mark! hoping hubby will hold for a while later while i have my fun out in garden! with wind last night- i thought roof was coming off-we have hundreds more twigs, hope you find some today

16/03/2014 at 14:58

Bumping this up so that new people can see the pinching out pix 

They're on page 24 of the thread

18/03/2014 at 08:41

thanks fairygirl er...mine don't look lie that!! mine straggly and bit disappointed as tried hard not to 'coddle' see david, i listened!! i only had them indoors for 1st 2 weeks, in cold east facing room not on windowsill, they're in plastic boxes i only cover overnight to protect from slugs and mice, have already pinched out growing tips, have i done this too early...they're all leggy with 2 leaves at top, anything i can do to improve? am sooo determined to get really good plants!!

18/03/2014 at 08:54

oops forgot to ask  david i know you advise putting them out am just wanting them to get stronger before they go in soil, if it's v rainy will they get ruined still in pots if not covered, sorry if coddling, i think mummies are a bit prone to it!!!

18/03/2014 at 09:12

"i think mummies are a bit prone to it!!!".....that figures!

Truth is they will get stronger when planted out....problem is the weather is forecast to get colder later in the week, so take that into account.....this is only an issue because they are soft.

I know this 'no coddling' must get boring, but you see, if they had been raised in cooler conditions they would be acclimatised to outdoor conditions. 

I would suggest supporting them with a few twiggy bits, protect from cold winds & slugs.