1 to 20 of 40 messages
09/02/2013 at 21:02

Why oh why does this Winter seem to be dragging?

Is it that it's cold and wet and I can't get into my garden for more than 5 minutes before I'm soaked and freezing?

I cannot wait for Spring to finally show its face!

09/02/2013 at 22:52

I think we all feel the same, but it is only February - often the worst month of the year.

09/02/2013 at 23:28

Yes, the cold weather is frustrating when you want to get going in the garden. I have an apple tree and around the base are loads of bulbs. First up are the Snowdrops. They have been in bloom for two weeks already. It's so wonderful at this time of year to see them so pure and white and in such profusion. It tells me winter is on its last knockings and spring is just around the corner.  Next will be the Crocuses, then Daffs, then the Tulips & Bluebells. So get loads of bulbs in next year - they are a great alarm clock and they make you feel optimistic really early on, and you can start planning when they bloom.

10/02/2013 at 10:13

true...

miserable here today though

10/02/2013 at 13:20

It is the endless rain that really gets me down. There is quite a bot happening in the garden - hellebores in flower, primroses, snowdrops, even a couple of miniature  daffodils, there are buds on the roses and hydrangeas and other plants are beginning to break through the ground. They are just so soggy and waterlogged and it is so difficult to get out there and get some fresh air.That's the moan over with - I love the fact that this country is so verdant compared with so many other countries because of the rain and the temperate climate that allows so many things to remain in the garden throughout the winter and enables so many plants to thrive. But just now, I'm looking through the window at the waterlogged garden... 

10/02/2013 at 14:30

yes its seems to be on going even if some of the spring flowers think otherwise.fed up of not being able to get out without getting wet.saw two Brent geese fly low over my head ,this was in the town ,that's a new one for me here in the city.

10/02/2013 at 15:22

I too saw a flock of geese flying over head yesterday, whilst stuck in my truck in 3 feet of snow and still not a plow in sight ! Not one person stopped to help,thats new york for you.Oh spring where are you.I want to be in the garden.

10/02/2013 at 16:32

I hear it was pretty deep in America,we usual get what you have a few weeks later(I hope not)I hope you got home o.k and that the snow will subside and I hope spring comes soon too!

10/02/2013 at 17:43

It has chucked it down here all day, but I spent a happy couple of hours sowing seeds in my greenhouse, with the rain drumming on the glass.  Seemed like a very cozy place to be - even more so every time I looked up to survey the world outside !

Seed trays are now sitting on my windowsill - hopefully getting ready to do their stuff.

10/02/2013 at 18:04

I did get out, evetually,one nice man and his girl friend dug us out and pulled with his truck.I got his address and plan on sending him a gift card for a nice meal.I would have rather been sitting in the greenhouse with the rain,drumming planting seeds ,it does sound so cozy and peaceful.

10/02/2013 at 21:14

I hear you Gardening Grandma and flowering rose!

11/02/2013 at 12:09

Not being beaten this weekend, my husband and I got our wet weather gear on and proceeded to prune roses, cut back perenials and plant up stone troughs - in the pouring rain. We got soaked but felt great!  I can fully recommend it.

11/02/2013 at 14:58

Good for you pema

My husband and I emptied the shed, moved it to other side of garden, wood preserved the inside and moved a bamboo, also in the pouring rain!

Feels good, doesn't it?!

11/02/2013 at 15:14

I stayed indoors and stuck photos from 2011 in the album. But if it carries on raining I'll have to join you in it! Hope you don't get colds.

11/02/2013 at 15:25

Come and join is Busy!

Snow has turned to sleet...now rain :-/ not amused...Spring like last year please, starting around March 1st (daughter's birthday) would be nice, thank you

11/02/2013 at 15:26

Winter does officially go on till well into March and after last year's late frosts which came and zapped a lot of plants excited by early and untimely warm weather, I have to say i'd rather winter dragged on a bit longer and that spring came later and without such frosty setbacks. 

Plenty to be getting on with in the mean time- structural maintenance, painting obelisks, tuning compost heaps (OH's job) and clearing paths of weeds.   Next month i'm hoping to buy and erect a new shed but will need a man to dig a level hole and fill it with a good concrete base.  Time to chat up the farmer neighbours and their son-in-law who does landscaping...........

11/02/2013 at 15:26

Then I can finally start building my raised flower bed, laying some plum slate and moving stuff around - oh and a few trips to garden centre too...plus sedun-roofing the new shed SO STOP RAINING!

11/02/2013 at 15:27

off you go then Obelixx

11/02/2013 at 16:05

its been a great sunny day here,in north yorks,dug in some horse manue on my raised beds,ready for the leeks n sprouts  ( hopefully later next month ), frost permiting.Put some more compost in mi Belfast sink,where i grow onions,and topped up my v large grow bags where taities ( potatoes ) shall do there business this year.( giving me a nice crop ).If its sunny tomorrow ( weatherman says so  ) i"ll do a bit more of the same.

11/02/2013 at 16:14
Been sunny here also , tidy up time begins out there, plenty to do tomorrow if the forecast stays as it is
1 to 20 of 40 messages