London (change)
Today 10°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 10°C
10 messages
02/03/2013 at 09:55

Last couple of years we have had it very warm in march, ie 20+ for a couple of weeks, then cold and lots of rain. Looking at today's weather, is it more of the same? I hope not, last year all my onions and garlic (well 95%) bolted by june (  It's making me even more anxious to try and get the hard landscaping work finished. My soil is clay and pebbles!! So as soon as it gets wet, it's a nightmare to work with.

02/03/2013 at 10:00
I hope for a heatwave from march to November I have clay,stoney,peaty ....wet, nightmare. Pleased for this dry spell for moving plants as soil is less claggy .
02/03/2013 at 19:15

Well it has not rained for awhile but keep it hush,even saw a blue sky with a yellow thing in it!

02/03/2013 at 19:35

Hi all , last year was a disaster by all accounts, a very mild winter followed by a very dry spring no rain in Feb or the first 2 weeks in march followed by the wettest April on record we had 2 glorious weeks in May with temp' up to the high 20s and then rain every day until December . I have a rain gauge on my plot it measures up to 6" at a time I emptied it 4 times up to until the 31 DEC last , so far this year there is 1.5" in the gauge  I read somewhere that one inch of rain is equal to 29 tonnes of water per acre I stand to be corrected on this ?

Derek

02/03/2013 at 19:50

We've not had any rain to count since 13.02.13.I have loads and loads of stuff in pots and watered this afternoon cos everything was feeling a bit dry. This is after the garden being under water for months during winter.  That's why we got a rain gauge basically - because it is so easy to forget about winter drying out!

02/03/2013 at 20:14

It does seem to be a new weather pattern, doesn't it - a warm, pleasant spring followed by a wet, wet summer? A geology teacher once told me that weather patterns usually last about 20 years!!!

That should see me out. I'll be 86.

02/03/2013 at 20:39

Hi  GG ,the only hot summers that I can remember was 1996 the one before that was 86 and the one before that 76 hot dry summers water rationing from what year are you counting

Derek

02/03/2013 at 21:22

The last really hot summer we had was 2006.  I remember sitting in my caravan, with all of the windows open, hoping for a breeze, and listening to the local radio saying we were hotter (burnham-on-sea) than cyprus!!

That summer was long and hot, I remember as I got married in September 2006 and was standing outside the church for the photos, hoping the photographer would get a wiggle on as I could feel my shoulders getting sunburn!

We must be due a nice summer soon, surely?

02/03/2013 at 21:27

Hi  Mummy muddy paws .God is Good ,  keep praying .

Derek

02/03/2013 at 21:32
Yes 2006 was scorching , we were building house, all spare time was on it ... I was insulating upstairs ...in million degrees (felt like it) , lived n caravan ...no air con tourer, could hear neighbours on street laughing with paddling pools , hosepipes and BBQ 's .... We were working
email image
10 messages