Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Is this a leech?

Apologies if this is the wrong place for this, wasn't sure which forum it should be posted in.

I thought it was a green slug at first but definitely not a slug. It's quite long when it stretches out. What should I do with it? It's in the area I'm trying to dig out.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

I think it's a horse leech  http://www.naturespot.org.uk/species/horse-leech 

Not seen one of those for years and years. 

I'd put it among some damp stones near a pond/ditch or similar.  

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• ShepsSheps Posts: 2,236

Looking at the ribbed body I'd say yes.

• SplandySplandy Posts: 161

I was coming to terms with the fact that my soil is pretty wet but not so wet it would have a leech living in it. Maybe I will take it down to the canal in a jar. I don't have a pond, does that mean it's been living underground?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Probably been living in the damp among those stones.  I imagine it'll be happy in or near the canal.  

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• SplandySplandy Posts: 161

They're not stones... I'm digging a lot of junk out of my clay soil and that is a tarpaulin I have found buried underground with a lot of dry clay on it. Very strange!