London (change)
Today 13°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
9 messages
15/02/2013 at 15:16

Don't know what the weather's like with you, but here it's been a lovely sunny couple of days which has really woken the joys of spring in me! 

I love wandering round the garden seeing things come back to life.  Blubs coming up (Daffs are nearly flowering!) buds bursting everywhere, baby plants coming on nicely.  I almost feel poetic! 

Is everyone else feeling the joy? 

15/02/2013 at 16:28

Not yet.  Still grey and damp here with bits of snow lying around and temps hovering around 0C for the next few days.

Happy though.  Early spring just means stuff gets excited, puts on tender, sappy new growth and then gets zapped by a whopper frost in March or April.   Slow spring is much better.

15/02/2013 at 16:42

I've had the Spring feeling for about a week now. I live in South East UK where the snow melts, the winds blow and the sun shines -don't shoot me but there's no denying that the mood has lifted.

Of  course its still soggy, cold and freezing at night, no doubt the rain will come in sheets and there will never be enough time to get the garden done...but yes...walking through the park in the afternoon sun made yesterday glorious!

15/02/2013 at 16:52

One of my joys is the day when the Zwaneburg Bronze crocuses open. They lurk silently and unnoticed first thing then they're singing their little hearts out in the sun when you get back from wherever you went!

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/18649.jpg?width=325&height=350&mode=max

15/02/2013 at 18:56

Seen some sunshine here over the last 2 days and definately lifted the spirits, Spring is on it's way. I love seeing all the spring bulbs poking their heads up through the ground.  Snowdrops are up and  I have some crocus starting to bud up. Those ones look lovely Flo. I'm hoping it's going to be a better year for daffs than last.

The clocks change next month

17/02/2013 at 15:48

Gorgeous Crocuses! Mine are just coming out as well.  Can't remember what type they are but they are purple with yellow middles and a couple of larger yellow ones.  Next to the snowdrops they are lovely!

What a weekend for gardening as well - I've been out all weekend getting lots of jobs done.  Have only just popped in for a sec to look something up.  Has everyone been busy little bees this weekend?!

17/02/2013 at 16:33

i've just been pottering at the back of the house in the work area - rescuing a great tit who'd investigated a piece of unused drainpipe as a nesting site and got stuck.  Anyway, what should I find but signs of growth in some pots I didn't have time to move to shelter before winter - some persicaria and pink hemerocallis divisions.

Feeling very chuffed and proud of them.

25/02/2013 at 14:32

Fingers itching to get planting - it's all this sun! Will restrain myself though as the nights are still very frosty.  

Basically I've spent the whole winter rescuing reduced plants from GCs etc.  Anything with a big red sale sticker on! So all these plants are in the sunroom at the front of my house (with the windows open all day) waiting to be planted out.  It makes me impatient! 

Also had my first seedlings from AmG Mag sprout yesterday.  It's my first go at growing things from seed.  Very exciting! 

25/02/2013 at 15:27

We had snow again overnight on Saturday, on top of a deep frost.  It is snowing again now and has been most of the day.  Definitely not spring yet.  I shall contain my impatence to sow until the equinox when any seedlings will have plenty of light to keep them short and sturdy but if we do get and warmish days between now and then, I lay go and titivate a few tatty perennials to clear old growth and make way for new and there's all the clematis and roses to prune.

email image
9 messages