London (change)
Today 8°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 7°C
61 to 80 of 91 messages
07/05/2012 at 14:11

The floor of the run?-bit confused are you setting the whole thing on the grass or what?

07/05/2012 at 14:12

It will all depend on where you have to place it.  Soil, grass or concrete.  You can cover the base with wire if you wish.  Are you going to leave it in one place or move it about?  Will you let the chickens out of the run, or will they be confined?

07/05/2012 at 14:21

the coop and run are on soil they wont be allowed out.im worried about smell / desease /?. floor of coop in the wet / winter.

07/05/2012 at 14:26

You are going to have to remove the soil occasionally and change it if it is to be a permanent place-in my experience anything put on the ground -straw -whatever gets scratched about.

I have just rigged up a cover to cover the chicken area to keep the wet weather off.

07/05/2012 at 14:32

i will do that let you know how i do in time thank you . i think i may consider a removable cover to.

10/05/2012 at 12:04

Does anyone know if chicken layers pellets have a shelf life and if so, how long?

I ask this question because the smallest bag I can buy is 20k and having only three ladeez, they last for months i.e. I've only just about used up a bag I bought at Christmas.

The reason I use so few is due to some extent because they don't seem to particularly like them.

10/05/2012 at 12:38

David

I seem to remember when I first started buying these 2 years ago there was a use by date of around 6 months-have,just for you, checked the latest bag and there is no date just the date of manufacture

My feeling is that a bag bought at Christmas and just finished now is fine.

10/05/2012 at 14:59

Thanks, Geoff....you're a star!

Loz
24/05/2012 at 13:16

Is it normal for chickens to lay eggs out in the run?

24/05/2012 at 14:04
Loz wrote (see)

Is it normal for chickens to lay eggs out in the run?

Well yes & no, Loz. They will lay anywhere until you educate them otherwise. I had my chucks as point of lay pullets and from the start they were aware of their (2) nest-boxes. I provided 2 dummy eggs in each and they soon got the idea...although I must say they, have slipped-up a couple of times laying in the shavings of their shed/coop floor.

28/05/2012 at 17:25

I have a down-in-the-dumps chicken (Maggie). She's been trying to sit quietly away from the others all day and looks a bit hunched and fluffed up. Presumably all I can do for now is to keep any eye on her as there are no noticeable symptoms - as there were when Aggie did whistley breathing.

28/05/2012 at 17:36

I lost half-3- of my brood whilst in sunny Spain-a fox had them on the Sunday afternoon

Now one sits on the nesting area virtually all day- have some china eggs that she seems happy to protect-other than that don't know what else is to be done.

They still seem to be laying ok but it is a lot quieter-one of the downsides that you don't want to consider when taking this on

Will buy replacements in September as going off again in August-will not be deterred

28/05/2012 at 18:13

That's really sad but, unfortunately, goes with territory. I dread the day when one/some of mine get nabbed.

29/05/2012 at 00:39

If your hen is sitting tight on china eggs she has gone or is going broody.  Boot her off the nest and she may keep on laying. Sorry, I mean lift her off the nest!  Don't encourage her by leaving china eggs in the nest.

30/05/2012 at 09:01

Have done just that-she seems to be victim of bullying and the nesting area is her refuge-will keep pushing her out with the others.

30/05/2012 at 11:40

I have three hens (identical in looks & breed) bought from the same farm from the same day. There has never been any disputes that I've noticed and to be honest I couldn't even tell who's top of the pecking order.

BUT, two of them seem inseparable, they dust-bath together..even visit the nest boxes when one or the other or both lays (like ladies going to the loo ). The third one (who I feel sorry for) seems to be a loner and excluded.

Anxious of Ambleside.

30/05/2012 at 11:53

I have four; Lizzie and Maggie hang about together often. Top pecker Rose doesn't mind where she is or with whom and Aggie, who's bottom, (and a bit smaller than the others) is a bit of a loner. This was a problem when they first came and had to spend a lot of time in the run but now they free range for part of every day they are much more chilled out. Aggie seems to find a spot to forage a little away from others, lays well, doesn't get picked on so seems happy as far as I can tell. Perhaps you could sneak her a couple of extra treats when the other aren't looking ;- )

01/06/2012 at 14:39

The latest BHWT new letter-contains lots of interesting stuff

http://www.netmailing.co.uk/ebooks/bhwt/2012/issue-2/newsletter/index.html

14/06/2012 at 16:13

I often sprout seeds to add to salads etc, any that get a little to sprouted or are just left get given to the girls who love them.  I was thinking this morning, what about grass seed. this would be cheap to buy and I would think will sprout like any other seed.  Would these be OK for the chicks ??, and maybe also for the guinea pigs ??.

thanks

Kate

14/06/2012 at 19:18

I think grass seed sproutings would be fine as my chooks have eaten every blade of grass in the top half of the garden. I expect, like any creature, they would benefit from a change now and then. I use quick growing salad leaves at the moment buut hadn't thought about grass seed. Perhaps best if it hasn't been treated in any way - ie to deter birds!

61 to 80 of 91 messages