London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 10°C
7 messages
24/03/2013 at 16:48

Last year I noticed during the end of 'Summer' about 40 what I think were spiders in my greenhouse...they were about an inch long, including legs, with a flat elongated diamond shaped body which is a greyish brown...odd colour...whilst out in my greenhouse today I saw the first one of this year in there...does anybody know whether they are spiders or is it a pest  and I just haven't realised yet:/ (not a huge fan of Boris and his family but I let them live and thrive ...unlike the slimy critters has anybody encountered them? Do I just let them breed and stay or evict them? Thanks for any replies and hopefully putting my mind at rest

24/03/2013 at 17:03

I always encourage spiders as they eat all the little things that I dont like,flies,mites e.t.c.

24/03/2013 at 17:17

Not sure if these are spiders-but then do not like spiders-sound something like green shield bug or similar

Picture would help

24/03/2013 at 19:43

I've just looked up green shield bug and it's not that I should have got a picture:/ I'll go armed and ready tomorrow and see if I can find another one....and then the tricky part because I'm a real technophobe, try and upload the photo....stand by your messages to help lol

24/03/2013 at 21:07

Count the legs for a start. 8 for a spider, 6 for an insect. Then a photo.

24/03/2013 at 22:58

It had 8 I'm pretty sure, I brushed it up into the dustpan and launched it into the hedge quickly; have to confess I'm a coward when it comes to spiders, my dad used to catch HUGE drain spiders  put them in a jam jar and chase me round the orchard when I was little...hence I'm not their biggest fan lol...the body was nothing I've seen before but will sit it out until I manage to catch one and post the pic online...I've trawled through various sites containing spiders but so far haven't found anything like it:/ I think I can learn to live with them in the gh if they're beneficial but if not I'll be declaring war on them alongside the slugs

25/03/2013 at 08:11

My greenhouse spiders don't cause any problem to the plants but they sh.. down the glass and make it look a mess.

email image
7 messages