London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 17°C
1 to 20 of 24 messages
24/05/2014 at 22:20

I do hope that I will not be thought wrong of.  As I mentioned on the forum.  I had such a wonderful chat on the phone this morning with a member.  Therefore I considered it it might be allowed for me to add to my profile, additional personal bits.  Re: Name and Address.  Email and mobile phone.  Please  feel free to call and have a chat sometime.

Kind regards.

Mike.

24/05/2014 at 22:29

25/05/2014 at 00:08

25/05/2014 at 06:48

Mike - a lovely thought - but I do think that it's risky - this forum isn't just read by us but also by nasty types all over the world who have other games to play.  A friend's account on a similar forum was hacked and all sorts of awful things happened to his other internet activities - if you give your home address you're exposing yourself to other risks - every time you mention that you're going somewhere THEY know that your home will be empty - burglary in your home would be a horrid experience.

Can I suggest that instead of giving your name and phone number out on the board, you give it by PM to one or two trusted people - then if we want to get in touch with you we can PM them and they can pass it on - then you'll be able to sleep safe in your bed and we won't worry that you're exposing yourself to risks. 

25/05/2014 at 06:57

Dove is right.  Whatever you do, do not put personal details on your profile.  Especially name address and phone number.  Some forum members do meet up for one reason or another, but they have built up a level of trust and don't put their personal information out there for everyone else to see.

Sadly the internet is not a safe place.

25/05/2014 at 07:01

I was going to say the same as Dove.....but didn't want to be the party pooper.

25/05/2014 at 07:08

As my friend has only recently been 'hacked and attacked' I'm very aware of the dangers, which are far greater than many of us are aware.  

It's really really lovely that Mike trusts us - but there are Odd Bods and Malevolent Beings out there who make it their business to cause problems - even on a Gardening Forum.  

25/05/2014 at 08:21

I've been trying to persuade peeps not to divulge too much personal information about themselves and their families on these forums for years.....in fact on another forum I was actually accused of being "like some secret agent" because I didn't choose to join in their communal disclosing of personal information.

25/05/2014 at 08:25

My friends daughter, living on her own in a flat, told someone on Facebook that she was going on holiday. The day after she left, she got burgled. She didn't have much before, even less when they'd done.  It could be coincidence,but.....

25/05/2014 at 08:37

I thought the same Mike when I read this yesterday, but like David didn't want to make first comment. 

Dove is  right it could lead to all sorts of unpleasant things.

25/05/2014 at 08:45

It has taken my friend months to get his affairs back in order as email and bank accounts were frozen due to suspicious activity on them - he was abroad at the time and chaos ensued - he used to work for HMF and is therefore very security conscious, but they even got him - the only way he found out that his details etc had been cloned was that because of his previous job his internet activity was being monitored by the British Army security!!!

25/05/2014 at 08:45

I agree. It's not the people you see on the forum, it's the people you don't see. But they see us

25/05/2014 at 08:50

Totally agree nut.  I think we're all aware of the thoroughly unpleasant cowards who trawl the web .

Sadly, this is the bad side of the internet. Mike has witnessed the good side  - I'd hate him to be a victim of the nasty bit.

25/05/2014 at 08:50

Nice thought Mike but the dangers are there.  No personal details online.  There are some very sick and unpleasant people out there.  Took a while but we traced a nasty guy who responded to a item for sale by a neighbour.  She gave him too much info and the calls came.......

25/05/2014 at 10:11

I advertised some all female cucumber plants on gum tree last year. You should see the warped replies I got.

25/05/2014 at 10:28

Perhaps I'm a tad too sceptical sometimes....but something is puzzling just now. Recently I was treated at a local eye hospital (couple of operations in fact) ......and now I'm receiving loads of correspondence from the RNIB asking for donations.

I have never subscribed to the RNIB, or have any idea where they have obtained my full postal address.

Is there a link? Maybe not, but it's strange!  

25/05/2014 at 10:31

Contact them and ask them - if the hospital have passed on your details they deserve a good rocketing!!! 

Of course, it may be that you're just noticing these things more, what with your improved eyesight 

....................... I'll get my coat 

25/05/2014 at 10:31

Just a thought - the mind boggles at the post Mike might get following his op 

25/05/2014 at 10:38

Thing is, Dove...my eyesight was never in jeopardy, the surgery was to the surrounding area.

Btw, I will ask at my next appointment....trouble is, it isn't for another year and I'll probably have forgot by then. 

25/05/2014 at 11:10
Dovefromabove wrote (see)

Just a thought - the mind boggles at the post Mike might get following his op 

Sure does! Unsolicited mail from Rent-a-Catheter by Hoselock......eek!

1 to 20 of 24 messages