Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Nice gesture but maybe more?

starting late yesterday and continuing all today on my conifer demolition.

anyway an elderly neighbour from down the road...prob 90....presented me with a couple of cans of cider as I was up the ladder cutting the top of the conifer.  Thought that was nice of her; she saw me working earlier and decided to give me some support

"thanks" I said "but could you you climb up here and cut the top off for me"?   It was only about 12 / 14 '.   She made an excuse that she was a little too old for that sort of thing now.  I was a bit shocked if truth were told ...she could see I was struggling image

Ok, she gave me a cider of two, and I appreciste it. but, surely she could have gone up the ladder esp when I asked so nicely?  image

Massive root system and had to dig down a metre to cut roots that were as thick as my arm.  The drive was full of cut branches.  Then the trunk had to be lifted out.  

Anyway it's out and branches cleared away and I can feel every muscle.  Very satisfied though.  Lots of garden compost will be turned in there tomorrow and then the planting....image

back to the old lady!  Should she have climbed the ladder for me?  I did say please.image

• B3B3 Posts: 27,472

You should have got her to dig the roots.

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053

You have done well. When I removed the conifer on the site of my now greenh it took two of us about half a day and the help of a mboat winch to get the roots out!

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489

Verdun - that was a lovely gesture from the elderly neighbourimage

I know you would have hated to be responsible for any injuries she may have received. . . . . .image

SW Scotland
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Couldn't you have nipped down to Lamorna to borrow that winch set up for getting the root out?

• raisingirlraisingirl Posts: 7,091

Yeah, bit rum of her not to have done a fair share, really. I'd have been miffed when you asked so nicely and all.

Still, she didn't plant said conifers, did she?

I was standing on my head in a hole I'd dug under a huge prickly berberis shrub to try to get the bloomin' thing out because some numpty had planted it right next to a shared path and it kept grabbing people as they walked past. I was sawing the roots off as deep as I could get, puce in the face and swearing in a most unladylike fashion when the neighbour who, as it happens, used to live in the house we were in then, leaned over his fence, sucked his teeth and said "yeah. I probably shouldn't have planted that there, should I?" Then sauntered off giggling. Actually sniggering.

The air was blue, I can tell you.

Gardening on the edge of Exmoor, in Devon

“It's still magic even if you know how it's done.” 
  • PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Verdun typical of the female, they cannot dual task. She should have seen you had a sweat on so brought over a table with umbrella, a nice chair and the beer in a glass glittering with ice cool droplets on the side of the glass then whilst you sat cooling down shot up the tree and completed the task. They see one thing, "oh he looks hot I will take him a beer" they do not realise beer needs to be slowly imbibed and cans take some effort to open she could at least have done that bit. Next time she waves cans at you ignore her, let her know your slaves need to think ahead.

Frank.

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489

"cannot dual task"

Frank - you are on very dangerous ground there imageimage

SW Scotland
  • PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Joyce, dangerous ground was what I did and still do at times, no point in being a wilting lily as a Soldier.Poor down trodden Verdun needed advice from a professional sorter out of inter sex  warfare  and that is what I am good at, that used to be with my Wife's permission of course now it is down to my Daughters. At my yearly check over on Friday Sister Rose told my Daughter I was fit as a fiddle and ready to be put back on the marriage market, she thought I would be snapped up, Daughter replied, "not on your Nelly no one is getting their hands on our inheritance"  I asked if I had a choice?

Frank.