Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

President Obama

DO you think that our special relationship with USA is conditional. Sadly I do now.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

always has been. 

Most are not aware that our , so called, "independent nuclear deterrent" can not be fired without the say so of the usa president.

Devon.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

I've always thought it was very one sided.

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 1,511

Conditional? On what?

Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

on if they agree with us or not.

Devon.
  • B3B3 Posts: 27,477

He shook the hand of the king of Saudi Arabia. Enough said as far as I'm concerned

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Makes one wonder what promises Mr Cameron may have given to get a speech from Mr Obama that couldn't have been better for the STAYIN campaign if they had drafted it for him. Only time will reveal if that is the case.

• B3B3 Posts: 27,477

I don't know about that but I was thinking of their treatment of women.

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • TootsietimTootsietim Posts: 178

our country's relationship with any other country is always conditional.

World leaders shaking hands with each other is hardly new. ( e.g. Churchill and Stalin )

I for one am happy to hear the views of anyone of the stature of Obama (c.f. Putin) as just one more strand of information to help me decide how I shall vote.

p.s. just for the record, I find Boris Johnson's criticism that Obama is being hypocritical a bit odd considering that the USA is itself a federal union of 50 states albeit with a longer history of cooperation than the EU.

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Say what you like - Obama is the best thing that's happened to the USA since JFK.  I remember his inauguration eight years ago - with my ex-wife and our 12-year-old daughter, and all of us had tears in our eyes. Of course the Republicans have blocked and/or interfered with his best policies but he's been a breath of fresh air.

And look what might be coming next!

• GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,126

As a country we still owe them hundreds of millions pounds from WW1. So maybe to them it justifies their participation. Treating Saudi Arabia as they do is because the US wants oil.