Start a new thread

1 to 5 of 5 replies

Plans for the Garden submitted to the Council in Salford for approval for RHS Bridgewater find out in March

https://www.rhs.org.uk/gardens/bridgewater/Designs-for-our-future-garden

treehugger80

It would be nice to have another RHS site in northern England, we have Harlow Carr and then you have to head to Hyde Hall in Essex for the next closest.

Wonder why are they mostly located in southern England? are they scared of the slightly colder conditions north of the Watford gap?

It will be nice to have one near enough to visit more often. Even Harlow Carr, for me means a fair chunk of the day spent driving, and negotiating a rush hour M62 on the way home is not a relaxing way to end a day out!

A lot of the most well-known gardens are in southern England, but I'm not sure that they are necessarily better,  just easier to reach from London to film! There are plenty of interesting gardens around the country that never get shown on TV, while the same few are shown over and over again.

aym280

National Trust properties also have a lot of wonderful gardens.. Dyffryn gardens in Wales, Chirk Castle, Waddesdon Manor, in Buckinghamshire,  Sheffield Park and Nymans in Sussex, Belton House near Grantham, Sissinghurst in Kent, Beningbrough Hall in Yorkhsire and  a lot of gardens in Cornwall  .. If you have kids or grandchildren, it is really worth joining NT ..

Last edited: 11 January 2017 17:38:15

Obelixx

Wisley, Rosemoor and Hyde Hall are on donated land which just happens to have been willed to them by southeners.    Harlow Carr was acquired when the northern horticultural society needed financial rescue and has since been much restored and improved.

The RHS has been on the lookout for a 5th garden for some years and this one sows great promise.

I daresay they'd love to have one in Scotland too but in the meantime there are RHS partner gardens and the NT.