London (change)
Today 27°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 17°C
07/01/2013 at 22:10

Lol Hollie, I like that phrase 'an itchy spade' hehe, I am in your boat lol.

You know what the best thing about this seed swap is? Is not necessarily receiving seeds (Although I love it) but the pleasure you give others with things that you send. I have just had a lovely email of thanks which has made my day 

Thanks everyone.

08/01/2013 at 22:00

I'm loving the seed swop as well. I know what you mean Sam. I've got my seeds, looking forward to sowing them, thanks.

Gardengirl, the false sunflowers have been sent to you today and thanks for the seeds/cuttings in exchange

08/01/2013 at 23:18

Its nice to see others are as mad on plants and seeds as I am Hollie lol

I was out in the garden today. Lifted more grass, widened my beds, cleared the area that my Belfast pond will go, marked out more turf to take and will make a second arch. I have decided to split the garden in 3 sections and focus on one at a time rather than all at once. I think 30x20 foot sections are more than enough for over haul 

09/01/2013 at 20:03

Thanks hollie hock I got my false sunflower and have been outside today planting it in a compost bag- until I know where to plant properly. Looks great.

What time does the false sunflower flower?

T&M seeds came today as well so nice goodies arriving through the post. I want to have a go at a bit more seed sowing but might not yet - the seeds may get too leggy.

Sam that sounds a good way of going about your garden I think -  do it in bits, I manage to do that sometimes then I get put off by something else and do a bit of gardening there as well. Things do distract me.

09/01/2013 at 20:10

In bits is good. It's easy to make a large bit look clear but all those perennial weeds are still there and plenty of annuals ready to germinate. Then you're at it all summer.

09/01/2013 at 20:53

Yep, that's what I thought. There's a bike shed and a workshop below that and still loads below that as well. My last garden was very small but did always want something bigger. Didn't quite expect this big though lol

Not that Im complaining

09/01/2013 at 21:51

Gardengirl- Glad it got you to ok. I would chuck it a suitable sized pot for now if you still thinking about where to put it. The pictures that I posted earlier on this thread were at the beginning of August. It does grow a lot of foilage before it flowers. I think it will grow anywhere, does need some sun though.

When in the garden, time just seems to speed up, it goes so fast, so a bit at a time is the best way I think.

Thanks Sam for the pictures,my garden is off similar shape

09/01/2013 at 22:45

Would they have been allotments at one time for to be this shape Hollie do you know? I now live in an old mining community and all the houses have the same. Upper flats as well as lower ones.

10/01/2013 at 20:08

I am compiling a list of flower and veg seeds to swap, will collate and report. Hope someone would like to swap with me.

10/01/2013 at 20:14

The more swappers the better I would have thought liliana. welcome. I shall have some more stuff after I've done my spring sow, and of course later on in the season.

10/01/2013 at 21:14

Hi liliana, yes of course, the more the merrier I would say. I really do have too many seeds to list, I can't resist a bargain at 25p a packet, I can't leave them there.

I'm sure I'll have loads of spares later in the season as well.

Not sure Sam, I'm part of an estate. Although there have have always been spaces to grow, allotments came into their own at the time of the 1st and 2nd World Wars.

I don't know the exact age of the property that I live in but it probably goes back further than the 1900s.

12/01/2013 at 10:45

I picked up a packet of hollyhock seeds in wilko's last week and put them back when I read the £4.25 price on the back last weekend I was shocked.

I hope the seed swap carrys on, I've had some lovely parcels last year and can't wait to sow my seeds and I'm sure I will have loads of spare seeds and a stamp certainly doesn't cost £4.25!!

Some of the seeds I bought on the net last year, hardy geraniums, never germinated and I think its invaluable to learn from people who've already grown the plant.

12/01/2013 at 10:52

£4 25 seems a bit OTT for hollyhocks. But perhaps I'm out of touch 

12/01/2013 at 16:10

Hello Lisa69

I have hollyhock seeds I can send to you if you want them I think they are pink/red colour and single flowers I can't quite remember though. Taken from a plant from someone else's garden.

Bit expensive for those hollyhock seeds I think should only be 2 pound something or 3 at the most

13/01/2013 at 13:07
liliana wrote (see)

I am compiling a list of flower and veg seeds to swap, will collate and report. Hope someone would like to swap with me.

Hello Liliana

What sort of seeds are you looking for is it flowers of vegetables? I am up for a seed swap with you

13/01/2013 at 15:50
Afternoon folks, Im always up for swap too what are you looking for and what ya got? Im lovin this thread hehe
13/01/2013 at 20:28

lisa69- £4.25 no way I would pay that. I might have some here for you but today in B&M they were selling them as roots 3 for 99p. PIcked up 3 Echineaca and 3 Aqueligias for £1.98.

13/01/2013 at 21:22

Without going through everyone's postings I'm not sure what's currently being swapped.

I've spare tom seeds, saved last year, if anyone is interested, nothing exciting  - Alisa Craig, Red Pear, Xmas Grape, Money Maker and Golden Sunrise.

Chillie seeds - Apache, Cayenne and Jalapeno. 1st two grew well last year, one plant produces enough chillies to last till next harvest.

I've heaps of annual flower seeds, freebie's from magazines.

I'd like some dahlia seeds, please.

14/01/2013 at 17:40

Hey all

Thanks Gardengirl I'll have some if you have some spare. I keep loosing track of what everyones swapping so I decided I will put my seeds list on my profile info and keep it updated, that way if anyone is interested just have a look and pm me what seeds you want and address to send to

14/01/2013 at 18:30

Hello Lisa69 I will send you some hollyhock seeds, I have spare  - I have your address already,  I will sort out them in an envelope to send to you