London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
7 messages
19/04/2013 at 13:20

I have calabrese, fennel, tomato and other seedings now pottted on into 'root-trainers', in the greenhouse. Some apprear to have had their tops bitten? off while others have a sort of slime on them and look quite unhappy. I've been started stuff of in the green house for many years and not met this problem before. The compost is a mixture of peat free 'Miracle grow', John Innesand some vermaculite mixed in. What can I do....

19/04/2013 at 13:37

Well it is pretty obvious??

Slugs/snails are the culprits

Do whatever you normally do to get rid

19/04/2013 at 13:55
I'd think the culprits are slugs/snails - I use Eco friendly pellets sprinkled round the gh. It's also worth having a good look under staging etc as snails may well be lurking there in the daylight hours.
I'd advise action sooner rather than later, otherwise they might well munch the lot.
19/04/2013 at 15:16

It does not look like slugs, obviously that is what I first thought of!, 'difficult to articulate why it looks different. If it is slugs they are being very slective and must be very tiny....?

19/04/2013 at 15:22

They will be selective. Some things taste nicer than other. Nothing else leaves a trail of slime over seedlings. They'll be there somewhere, bottom of trays, underside of staging, have a good look.

19/04/2013 at 15:25

At this time of year you get tiny little black and green keel slugs in the greenhouse, they are a bigger problem than any other slugs in the garden  -  they are very picky about what they eat - usually the most expensive or precious things you have!!  As someone else says, nothing else leaves that slime trail - keep looking, they are there, probably under the top inch or so of the soil/compost, under leaves - hiding away to destroy where they can.

19/04/2013 at 15:35
I've found some teeny slugs and snails in the gh, guess they're hungry.
email image
7 messages