London (change)
Today 16°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 11°C
19 messages
28/03/2013 at 07:12
28/03/2013 at 07:24
having got lots of seedlings from my sowings and with the weather being so cold I am running out of space in the house. Can I put them out into my 5 tier free standing greenhouse until I can plant them out.
28/03/2013 at 07:25

What sort of seeds are they?  

28/03/2013 at 07:29
Thanks for my first ever reply.......how exciting !!!! They are things like sweet peas, violas, French marigolds tomatoes lettuce etc. I seem to have the growing bug!! .the greenhouse is a rickety cheap plastic unheated greenhouse !
28/03/2013 at 07:39

Well done, Cler and welcome to the forum.

28/03/2013 at 07:39

Sweet peas are hardy but will need hardening off gradually if you've started them in the warmth of indoors - there are a lot of threads on here giving sound advice about growing sweet peas - use the search facility in the top right corner   I think you could treat your violas the same way.

Keep your tomatoes indoors!  They can't go out for ages yet - keep potting them on as they grow and keep them in as much light as you can to avoid them growing too leggy in search of light.  If they do get leggy you can plant them a bit deeper when you pot them on as the stem will grow some roots.  There are also lots of threads about tomatoes - again use the search facility to find what you need 

I must admit I've not started any of my seeds off yet - I'm going to start my toms this weekend as I only have little cold growhouses too.

Your lettuces might cope with being moved outside if you harden them off gradually, putting them outside in the sun for a little while then back indoors, increasing the time they spend outside each day until you think they can cope with it - it does depend on the variety - some are hardier than others.

This is a very unusual spring, and you might have to start again with some of your seeds if you run out of room for them indoors.  Such are the joys of gardening - welcome to the club 

I'm sure there'll be lots of advice and encouragement from others later on today .... 

28/03/2013 at 07:42

I have viola's marigolds tomato's and lettuce in mine, they are growing slowly but surely.  I would suggest you try some and see how they do, split them between the greenhouse and the house so if you lose some you won't lose them all.

I just found a handy tip to paint milk cartons black and fill with water then they will help store some of the days heat and release it at night. You could use a thermometer to measure the maximium / minimum temperatures in your green house if its keeping above freezing it should be livable for your plants.  

28/03/2013 at 07:59

I have some very small tomatoes. I'm putting them outside in the greenhouse during the day. to give them a nice dose of sunlight. But I'm bringing them into the house during the night.

The temperature inside my cold greenhouse last night was -2.5. Even with a fleece covering that's too cold for little tomatoes.

28/03/2013 at 08:22

Hi Cler,please don't put them out as the GH you mention are plastic and it is VERY cold out there. It is 1c in the SE but feels like -5c! I did what you are planning to do and lost plants a couple of years ago.

SO, please hold fire and wait a couple of weeks at least.As you sound like a new, keen gardener it would be aloss if you loose heart. Good luck

28/03/2013 at 09:09

You could stand your greenhouse on fleece or bubble wrap and put some more bubble wrap around it. I am about to put up a similar sort of greenhouse and plan to do that. Blackest's tip about the milk cartons may well work better in a small g'house like that than in a larger one, providing they get some sun in the day, I'm thinking. I'm planning to be cautious about what goes in it, too.

28/03/2013 at 09:18

The calendar says it's nearly April but it's still winter as far as plants are concerned. Temperatures well below freezing every night and not much more in the day. Don't do it, listen to Dove and jatnikapyar

28/03/2013 at 10:54

Violas are hardy, they are used for winter planting. Sweet peas and lettuces are hardy, but if they've been used to being warm then get them used to outside slowly, just day time to start with.

28/03/2013 at 11:13

Tomatoes especially do not like fluctuating temperatures-even with fleece or anything other protection  it is too cold in an unheated greenhouse at night at present-far better to keep them growing slow and steady indoors-but the light is the real problem

28/03/2013 at 11:24
Mine are all indoors (house) and staying there until frosts go
28/03/2013 at 12:22

That could be a very long time, Bunny.......

28/03/2013 at 13:12

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/20657.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

My new max min thermometer in the greenhouse about 33 degrees C.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/20658.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

The Hot Water Bottle Experiment. The Black bowl with the thermometer in it is at about 20 C after an hour in the greenhouse the air temperature is around 33 C with the sunshine. Outside is around 8 degrees. To the left is my first milk bottle heater rather than paint it black I cut some plastic from an old compost bag and sellotaped it to the milk carton. When it became a little cloudy air temperature dropped to about 16C with the water in the bowl a couple of degrees warmer. It looks promising will have to see how well it performs overnight. I think i will need a good few to help the whole area but in combination with fleece i think i will have some additional frost protection.

28/03/2013 at 13:35
I have the room HJ
28/03/2013 at 16:27

That's a neat trick with the bottle, and I may give it a try. But my tomatoes and chillis are staying in the kitchen for a while yet.

What about direct planting in beds - is there any chance of germination for the broad beans and carrots I sowed a couple of weeks ago? It's not snowy here (Devon) but it drops to zero or below most nights, and the max temp in the daytime is about 5.

28/03/2013 at 17:29

I have been growing "cut and come again" lettuces in my cold greenhouse in a grow bag for about three weeks now. They are coming along just fine, though admittedly a little slower than usual. I do this every year about this time of the year with success. 

email image
19 messages