1 to 20 of 22 messages
19/05/2014 at 15:28

My Under-gardener deserves a pat on the back today - we were sitting out on the terrace having a cuppa when he pointed out two lily beetles on a pot of lilies - he doesn't really like killing things, he is especially interested in beetles, and he knew that I would squidge them - but he pointed them out to me.

Gold star awarded! 

19/05/2014 at 15:49

Well deserved I think. 

19/05/2014 at 15:57

True love!   My OH is coming on - he now asks me which is a plant or a weed before the fork goes in  He really comes into his own when rescuing spiders from the house.

19/05/2014 at 16:09

Hubby gained major brownie points by boarding out my new potting shed in the heat at the weekend (complete with colourful language!).  All ready for me to paint in a very impractical soft pale blue colour.  Greenhouse staging on order.  Cant wait to 'move in' (not literally, or maybe....!).

19/05/2014 at 16:16

I'm not awarding my under gardener anything just yet less he thinks it means he can drop a few things off his to-do-list

KEF
19/05/2014 at 16:43

Mine gets a Gold. Only two faults he keeps having ideas for garden  and he messes up the computer.  

19/05/2014 at 17:22

My under gardener has taken it on herself to mow the lawns every other weekend! hopefully she will catch the "I want a wonderful green lawn" bug and weed, rake, top dress etc. Leaving me with the important jobs around the garden such as planning, planting and pottering. Top gal...

KEF
19/05/2014 at 17:28

Tasker

19/05/2014 at 17:32

My under gardener gets a gold, he mows the lawn (and the back is rather large) does all the veg planting and after care. He does most of the major digging, cuts the hedges and makes the compost. He also catches and gets rid of spiders.

He also got himself a shed last year.....well I let him think its his 

19/05/2014 at 17:39

My under gardener get a wooden spoon. He does nothing but ask, when watching gardening telly, whether we have the plant shown, and then complains when we haven't.

Not really an under gardener.

Would like a proper one if anyone has one going spare?

19/05/2014 at 18:41
My under gardener is work in progress, did quite well at the weekend but the tomatoes and courgettes looked a but sad yesterday as they hadn't been checked. He did remember to open the GH door though and it thought he wouldn't

Well done Mr Dove under gardener
19/05/2014 at 18:48

Mr Dove is also growing something in the veg garden this year for the first time ever - last winter he planted garlic and it's doing great - I have had to point out the need for the occasional bit of weeding but he's acted on the instructions  - think he's going to really enjoy the harvest 

Bal
19/05/2014 at 18:50

My under gardener,deserves a gold, as he is making my raised beds for me, and spent the weekend, cementing bricks and turning turf, in the heat. (have still to teach him about other plants, but he does know what grass looks like, and hates it now!)

KEF
19/05/2014 at 18:54

Said in a Nora Batty voice..oh you don't want to be letting him do things like that Dove, they get ideas.

Panda, tell him yes everytime he asks & then say it's died and ask for cash to replace it ..then buy what you like & one for undergardener

Lily he has a shed ?  don't be letting him put a chair in there.

19/05/2014 at 19:38

My undergardener gets a gold star. He cooked dinner Saturday and Sunday and kept me supplied with tea while I was in the garden. Proper dinners as well, not barbecues! 

19/05/2014 at 20:04

My under gardener is not to be trusted after the "it was on the rose arch and I knew it wasn't a rose" incident. Luckily he only ripped my new clematis's two foot of new growth off and left the roots intact. He's back on Wednesday after three months at work, he'll be under close supervision.

KEF
19/05/2014 at 20:13

Hi Lisa, you have to keep your eyes on the trainee. Had mine 30 yrs and he's very willing but still dangerous without close supervision, has improved with keeping  Tends to run a mock with loppers & a saw.

Years ago he was sent to greenhouse for some basil to have with pasta, pulled all the leaves off my chilli plants

19/05/2014 at 21:03

Naughty, naughty ladies!  There was I believing you all had the greatest fondness for your O/H.  So.  Perhaps that saying.  She who has to be obeyed! is true.

I remember Val.  She would often suggest, whilst admiring the garden.  I think WE WILL do this and that.  One day without thinking.  I replied.  Hey Sweet, you don't even sweep the path.  Thinking back now, and I suppose many find remorse at times.  What an unkind comment.  No way did I realise just how much she was suffering.  Still ladies. Give the under gardener a pat on the back now and then, perhaps even a 'tit bit'.  We men do enjoy a bit of TLC at times.

19/05/2014 at 21:06

Hey Mike   I think we're pretty good at keeping the Under gardeners happy 

Bal
19/05/2014 at 21:16

Mike the under gardener gets tea in bed every weekend, even when its MY birthday!. I still give him a good ticking of if he is naughty however.

1 to 20 of 22 messages