London (change)
Today 15°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 9°C
25/09/2012 at 11:02

Rain my idea for washing down inside the grrenhouse never took off, it went almost black then down it came I could not see across the road, it has calmed down a bit being just a deluge at the moment, the wind must be coming behind it.

Frank.

25/09/2012 at 11:11

Im already fed up with the rain, i do now have tumbledryer so that makes life a lot easier and the house doesnt look like a laundry. My mum always washes the car when it rains so she doent have to worry about rinsing the soap off as the rain does it for her. And people say im daft.

25/09/2012 at 12:10

You'd be more likely to float away in the car here than rinse it at the moment - absolutely puddling it down, and has been for 24 hours.

25/09/2012 at 13:47

yesterday rain and strong damaging winds today.. blue skies with the od heavy shower.. light breezer today with tit.

25/09/2012 at 13:50

We are quite lucky on the south coast not too many floods. Now have really bright sunshine now where have put my sunglasses.

25/09/2012 at 16:16

I'm another who has been known to wash the car in the rain! Being on a water meter & having a silver car.... It needs it now, but noway at the mo.

Raining non stop since yesterday, but at least the wind is less. Total waterlogging behind the shed where the water butt is overflowing. No idea when will get a couple of dry days together so can do the lawn's final cut......

OH said that his walk back from work yesterday was rather difficult. The canal towpath that he uses was flooded & his detour not much better.

Rain- sympathies. You will have lots of happy memories. J.

25/09/2012 at 19:07

A bit of this and a bit of that: rain = heavy downpours  Sun = bright interludes.  Managed to clear runner/climbing French beans, and dug over the veg patch.  (OH was dragooned into helping:  much complaining and grizzling - but all now ship-shape amd ready for winter veg .

25/09/2012 at 19:48

Here in the NW We've had none stop rain now for two days. 

Came home through the local villages today. Most of the fields were  flooded. The council have worked hard to keep the water back in streams, most have turned into rising torrential rivers, tractors and diggers were out this morning piling up the banks with soil, clay and sand. A lot of roads are closed and the drains are pushing out water rather than the other way round.  Heard on the radio it isn't much better in the NE.

If we get a hose pipe ban next year I'll be writing to the water companies

25/09/2012 at 19:55

The more I see on the news and the more I read on this board, the more I realise that we (West Somerset) have escaped relatively lightly.  I do hope that those in the worst affected areas are OK. 

Is this the price we pay for "Global Warming"?

25/09/2012 at 20:42

Thanks Maud for the kind words.

The weather here is getting worse by the hour,  the wind has dropped but the rain has got heavier,  the garden is flooded again but at least it's good at draining away,  supposed the be like this tomorrow then on Thursday the sun in supposed to shine and stay shining till Sunday,  will it I wonder I could do with a dry day so I can bury my Lydia,  I have a nice sunny spot for her as she loved to lay in the sun either through the window or in the garden.

25/09/2012 at 22:38

Rain - when my most beloved cat, Zoe, died, I was devastated.  She was 21years old - a very goodly age indeed, but that didn't make it any easier.  I buried her underneath a lovely hydrangea, and I still think of her when I am in that part of the garden.

At the cat rescue place, the kitten that I wanted was lovely;  they needed a home for her two year old mother as well, and, softie that I am, I took her on as well.

Having been ill-used by her farmer-owner, she was a difficult cat, hissing and growling when picked up.  Today, many years on, she is a mirror image of my Zoe.  She follows me down the garden path like a little dog.  She trips me up in the greenhouse, preferring to curl up near my feet when I am pricking out/seed-sowing. She likes (uniquely) to climb next-door's ornamental pear tree and seemingly "nest" in the high branches, to the amusement of  neighbours.

She doesn't replace Zoe.  But she comes pretty close! Her name is Kiri (after the opera singer) and I love her to bits.

25/09/2012 at 23:04

We got it and how, my Daughter dashed up and dropped off my grandson off school with a bad stomach and Max the dog. She had a lot to do but owing to Stockton being almost cut off by flooding she was called to pick up Granddaughter from school early then could not get back here.
They raised the banks on the Lustrum beck years ago and it worked until today, every beck was over the top and we have lots of them.
Daughter made it here at around five and was dashing back before more heavy rain arrived. I was unable to shop so it was panackelty today, it went down well with us and the dogs.

Frank.

25/09/2012 at 23:09

"Panackelty" must be a local dialect term, Frank, for which we need a translation!  I'm guessing from the context that it's a term for making do with whatever is available in the larder.

Glad that you're not drowning under the deluge btw!

25/09/2012 at 23:47

Panackelty is a North Eastern make do one pot dish and was used a lot in wartime when corn beef was often easy to get, (we had docks unloading ships all round us).

Butter an oven dish, thinly slice potato's onions leeks and have some peas ready then layer, a bottom layer of potato cover with a thin layer of onion and leek mixed then scatter some peas, now thinly sliced corn beef and start again, the last layer or top is thinly cut potato brushed with butter then pour in a good stock (Sundays chicken) until near the top layer of potato pop in the oven at 170 for one and a half hours.
One pot dish complete with gravy.
PS answered message.

Frank.

26/09/2012 at 00:35

rain rain and more rain all day yesterday and most of today,went in garden for 5 mins. but came in to cold and wet for me today.first time  not been in the garden all year.please it's got to get better.  winters coming OMG,  

26/09/2012 at 09:02

Plant pot mad, funny that I was looking at some old photo's of my garden around fifteen years back yesterday, you cannot see anything but a sea of pot plant in pots covering every inch that is not planted, I had forgotten that I had pots everywhere. not quite as mad now though.
Winter is not OMG, it is just another season when nature has her snooze but somethings come out at night as in normal life, we always have some who prefer the nocturnal part of the year. AND Spring is not that far off, look on the bright side.

Stockton is part cloud some blue sky a little sun and a Golden glow over Rain's hills, the little boxer says cloudy so not too far out, we must have gone past the nine miles of cloud over Durham that caused chaos yesterday.

Frank.

26/09/2012 at 09:32

Good morning everyone.

Nr Lincoln.  Lovely morning here, sunny and not too chilly.

I'm going to try your recipe Frank, sounds just the job for an Autumn day.

Have a nice day folks.

ChrisX

26/09/2012 at 09:40

today it has been heavy showers and rain.. many rainbows this morning which is delightful am going out to move plants that have been waiting for weeks as the ground was so hard wihtout rain since 4th august. (well anything that was worth calling rain that is). and pricking out seedlings of primulas and perennials.

Water butts are now full and ready for watering them all.

Best wishes goes out to all of those who are suffereing these terrible floods.. i thank god that we are on top of a cliff and dont suffer them.. but down in Lake (ha ha) it does flood and becomes like its name.

My Daughter keeps harpin gon about "just like the start of "2012" film mum.. its not going to get better.. it is getting closer.. much as i love her dearly sometimes i could just slap her for her silly nonsense talk.

26/09/2012 at 09:51

It's actually dry here at the moment - might go and wring out the plants later.

Our local river is in flood, but not affecting things too badly - only the odd ford instead of a road.

26/09/2012 at 10:19
lovetogarden wrote (see)

I'm going to try your recipe Frank, sounds just the job for an Autumn day.

Have a nice day folks.

ChrisX

For the genuine wartime recipe Chris slice the onions, (i chopped them as I was also adding leeks using up what was there) The potato has to be wafer thin and the stock would have been a couple of OXO cubes and not from my stock pot.
I heated the stock first as it was solid jelly and you would need to heat water to make an oxo cube stock any way.
My oven is fan assisted hence the 170c ordinary ovens probably 180c but you will know your oven. The top layer of potato wants to be brown and crispy.

The sun is out the wind has dropped and it looks as if the floods in Stockton are going down, yesterday is best forgotten but for the several hundred peoples whose houses were flooded memorable for the wrong reasons. There was three feet of water on the Bowling green I fought many a battle on, with bowls of course.

Frank.