London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 17°C
6 messages
19/01/2013 at 14:05

How do folk use worm compost apart from putting it rounds plants? Can it be added to multipurpose compost?

Lyn
19/01/2013 at 21:23
I made 8 Dalek loads last year and put it all on my beds except one, which went in the bean trench .
19/01/2013 at 21:39

Is this question about garden compost-or compost from a wormery?

I read it as the from a wormery

The thing to remember if you use garden compost with multipurpose -not only are in a sense diluting it but also composting does not necessarily kill off all the weed seeds if it doesn't generate enough heat

That is why it is generally used as a soil conditioner-rather than a growing/sowing medium.

But them I still don't know what is being asked

19/01/2013 at 22:54

I read it as those worm moulds you get in your lawn and was wondering how big is the lawn to produce enough to even consider adding it to compost 

19/01/2013 at 23:39
Alfierawes wrote (see)

How do folk use worm compost apart from putting it rounds plants? Can it be added to multipurpose compost?

Compost from a wormery is used as you would use any compost, a mulch, added to pots when potting plants into the final pot, digging into the hole when planting into the borders, just do not use it for seed trays.
Compost unless left to mature is really only a soil enhancer, it adds soft bulk to soil allowing better drainage a softer element for the roots to work into and also some goodness, minerals and good bacteria.call it a tonic for soil.
Zoomer worm casts on the lawns are a good thing, I use a bass broom and sweep them back into the grass, it exercises me and the lawn at the same time and proves the lawn is being aerated.

Frank.

21/01/2013 at 15:54

Thanks for the advice. I think i will still just use it round plants.

email image
6 messages