Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

bird netting

Hi again looking for bird netting for the new shoots on everything that the birds just love to eat all brasicas gone all shoots gone everything in the allotment must taste  really good i,ll let you know if the birds leave us any   anybody purchased any thats ok

• RobotRobot Posts: 137

Hi,  This old thread may help you with your bird problem and with the insect problem you may get with a lot of your veg.  I took my netting off my first lot of broccolli and cabbage last week as they were about ready and the cabbage whites went mad for them but by the time the caterpillars are out and munching we would have harvested and they will be toast 

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/fruit-andamp-veg/sprout-protection/3779.html

• MaggieLMaggieL Posts: 20

I bought some insect deterent netting to stop butterflies laying eggs on my brassicas. It also deters carrot root fly. It is sort of nylony and lets lots of light and water through, but not the insects or birds. Birds can't get tied up in it either, so it is ideal.The netting can be kept in place with stones or pegs. It is robust and can be used again and again- much better than ordinary fleece. I bought it in Dobbies Garden Centre but I am sure it is available elsewhere.

• fotofitfotofit Posts: 73

Hi there !!  I've just come across this discussion and was interested as I want to protect salad crops from birds etc next year !!

Thanks for the helpful tips and links - I've made a note and saved photos so that I can show 'him indoors' what I want - he's already come up with the idea of using cut tennis balls to hold mesh in place over the canes !!  He'll be so pleased !!! image

Thanks once again. image

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Jam jars are even better as the netting slides over them when you want to move it.

• Kathy 2Kathy 2 Posts: 122

I bought some butterfly netting from a small garden center in Cheshire - 2m wide and priced at about £1.50 per linear meter. I then threaded some pieces of galvanized wire through the mesh to make something similar to a closh - make the "legs" long enough to push well into the soil. The only problem is, this weather is stopping my Pak Choi from growing.image

• black knitted 1 inch mesh from Harrod horticultural is a good quality product at a good price and will last for years.