London (change)
Today 12°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 8°C
81 to 85 of 85 messages
24/01/2013 at 19:20

just a point on the wormery 'thing' (which I no longer have): the compost is gorgeously rich but comes in such small amounts that most 'pros' will advise to treat like gold dust - mix with other stuff and treat your fav vegetation with it; the liquid is the 'main event' - you'll be surprised how much you get especially once diluted.

But my reason for gatecrashing your compost 'party' was - does anyone know of any published articles re the effects of different foodstuffs on the compost heap??? I ask because mine seems to be more of a tea(bag) heap at the mo and though it will get turned with whatever else it can eat from the kitchen and garden in due course, i was just wondering if you can guesstimate nutrition, acidity etc of the end product from its diet (beyond the broad 'food groups' of green, woody etc) - I haven't 'googled' yet as that usually ends in tears...  

29/01/2013 at 18:42

Good question Dottie, I have no idea but you have me thinking now lol

29/01/2013 at 19:49

I do know that if you add to many rotting apples it can make it too acid-other than that my guess it is just neutral.

29/01/2013 at 20:09

Hello Dottiesue not quite sure about pH levels unless you have a pH reader to test it here is a small bit on a website about pH balance, but does not say what way the compost could come out acid or not

Not sure if that helps all homemade compost is good stuff, you could add toilet roll tubes as well torn up.

30/01/2013 at 19:34

Managed to add another layer to my wormery now, when I looked in the bottom layer seeds were growing don't know what they are - have now moved to another part of garden, the compost must be good for seeds to be growing I guess.

How's your compost heap going?

email image
81 to 85 of 85 messages