London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 10°C
9 messages
01/11/2012 at 22:43
Other than the likelihood of cracking etc, does it matter to the plant, what the container it's in is made of? This months magazine suggested lining a containter for a plum tree with hessian. Any reason not to do this for all containers?
01/11/2012 at 23:03

Lots of people like traditional pottery pots. I prefer those good quality plastic ones, ?resin. They are lighter to handle, frost proof, washable and if you live in a warm place like me (Dordogne) they don't dry out so fast. They make them looking just like pottery or stone. I saw that about hessian and I wondered why as it will rot eventually. Is it insulating enough to protect a plant in winter?

02/11/2012 at 09:16

I think it's down to what you like and what you can afford. Can't see that a bit of hessian would make much difference to anything but if there's a practical reason for it I'm ready to be convinced.

02/11/2012 at 09:27

I like to '' theme '' my pots. Most of them are blue and I buy mine from a G.C. near us as they are good quality pots and also frost resistant. Fingers crossed, none of them have ever cracked even during that really bad winter a few years back.

I did have a nasty experience with a wooden planter once which contained a lovely acer. I didn't treat the wood and the container split. The acers roots grew through the splits so I had to remove it and in doing so , I think I damaged the tap root as it shed all its new leaves and the rest of them shrivelled up

I had some advice from the forum and now will have to wait until next Spring to see if it survives so think in future I'll stick to what I usually use.

02/11/2012 at 16:03

Supernoodle 2 weeks ago we went to an ordinary auction you would not believe the pots and garden stuff being off loaded this time of year?? we got 12 med and large quality pot s, some that cost £40 at the Garden Centres ,gave em a scrub and saved loads -o-money we paid £12for the  3 lots ,they did include some plastic  pots as well so thet up the allotment,

Good luck Alan4711  

02/11/2012 at 17:24

That sounds brilliant Alan, just the ticket.  I use ceramic and terrracotta pots, some cheap from a local hardware shop that shall remain nameless, though it says you can do it, and some quite expensive ones bought in sales at various garden centres.  I find plastic ones dry out in warm weather and stay soggy in wet weather.  However, I do use them for some things, such as garlic, and some ivy which is growing up a chain link fence - there is no soil there, they are beside the fence and are fine.  Some of the pretty looking pots i have bought have frozen and the outer paintwork has come off in the ice, and then the inside porous pot soaks up water and breaks at the next frost.  Some of my very cheap machine made teracotta have lasted for yeats.  i have a few very, very large and expensive ones which are dong well - they freeze regularly, including in that terribly cold winter we had the year before last - I guess it is as much down to luck as anything else.  If there  is a small crack in it the water freezes in it then that is that ........ great fun this pot growing huh?

02/11/2012 at 18:49
A few years back I made my own pots using peat and cement mix. I also used this mixture to cover old kitchen sinks as well as an old washing machine drum. They all look like old stone troughs and seem to withstand freezing etc. I have picked up the odd chimney pot too ....
02/11/2012 at 19:29
Cheers guys. I like the auction idea as eventually I'd like a fruit patio. Will keep and eye out and see what I can get over the next year ago.

I'm off to get a pot tomorrow for my new apple tree arriving later in the month. I want to get as big as I can. I've always bought terracotta in the past but don't wnat to spend out on a giant one, especially as it may crack. After your discussion, I'm thinking maybe wood, but make sure it's treated and keep an eye. If nothing takes my fancy, then I'll go for plastic.

I'm thinking maybe the hessian protects from frost for the first few years til it rots, but then the plants more established anyway??
02/11/2012 at 20:52

Supernoodle, make sure if it's wood that it's well treated against rot and tough if you are planting a tree. I had a large wooden planter with a trellis that I planted 2 clematis in and after about 8 years it fell apart.

email image
9 messages