London (change)
Today 27°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 17°C
11 messages
08/06/2012 at 08:43

Hi, does anyone have an idea of where one could buy a descent digging fork as all seem to be really flimsy these days and the tines just bend easily?

08/06/2012 at 10:15

A similar question was asked the other day-that might help

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/tools-and-techniques/gardening-fork/3695.html

08/06/2012 at 20:31

Thanks sotongeoff, I am however looking for something for daily hard usage. Any advice appreciated.

08/06/2012 at 21:39

iam confused someone said to me i have to dig the boader with a fork (bloodey its gonna take me ages )it takes me long enengough to eat my food of my plate never mind dig the boaderer with it

08/06/2012 at 23:14

This much is true but unless you have good soft soil a tiller will just bounce off the top and all good things come to those who create by working on it.

09/06/2012 at 01:51

Silly Q but do you mean a hand fork! Or a fork that's as big as a spade!

Just to confuse things more, I have a hand fork which looks like a little rake and to confuse things further still, use it turned upside down, like a hoe, in raised beds, where plants are planted far to close together to use a big stand up hoe, to weed effectively.

Bought it from Aldi and wouldn't be without it...they sell a few other hand tools, some of which whose uses aren't that obvious, might be worth a look.

09/06/2012 at 09:40
Rui Correia wrote (see)

Hi, does anyone have an idea of where one could buy a descent digging fork as all seem to be really flimsy these days and the tines just bend easily?

My best garden tools are stainless steel but I can't remember the make - labels wore off years ago!  You can buy them online if you can't find anywhere local which stocks a range that you can look at. I do know that Wilkinson Sword tools have a 10 year guarantee, if that helps.  I go for 'Y' shaped ash wooden handle/shaft as they seem strongest.  The longer a digging fork is, the easier to use, but puts more strain on the tines.  Anything decent will cost £25 upwards.

09/06/2012 at 12:01

I have recently bought a "Dobbies" garden fork from the supermarket that is having the voucher exchange. Should have been twelve pounds odd but I used the vouchers and got it for about £6!!!! I also got some Sankey propagators for less than £3 each which I had paid over £7 for, earlier in the year. I think the offers end soon (may have even finished by now - sorry) The fork was easy and comfortable  to use.

09/06/2012 at 17:07

Hi I'm with BobThe Gardener - mines also stainless steel and I vouch for it's efficacy in doing heavy digging. Mine doesn't have a label either sorry!

09/06/2012 at 17:38

The "Dobbies" fork is also stainless steel, with an ash handle. Comes clean easily when you have used it - I just wiped it with some paper towel ( and I've got clay soil)

09/06/2012 at 19:49

Sounds like an excellent bargain, Kathy!

email image
11 messages