Start a new thread

1 to 11 of 11 replies

Rui Correia

Hi, does anyone have an idea of where one could buy a descent digging fork as all seem to be really flimsy these days and the tines just bend easily?

Rui Correia

Thanks sotongeoff, I am however looking for something for daily hard usage. Any advice appreciated.

martymower

iam confused someone said to me i have to dig the boader with a fork (bloodey its gonna take me ages )it takes me long enengough to eat my food of my plate never mind dig the boaderer with it

Rui Correia

This much is true but unless you have good soft soil a tiller will just bounce off the top and all good things come to those who create by working on it.

Advertisement

Silly Q but do you mean a hand fork! Or a fork that's as big as a spade!

Just to confuse things more, I have a hand fork which looks like a little rake and to confuse things further still, use it turned upside down, like a hoe, in raised beds, where plants are planted far to close together to use a big stand up hoe, to weed effectively.

Bought it from Aldi and wouldn't be without it...they sell a few other hand tools, some of which whose uses aren't that obvious, might be worth a look.

BobTheGardener
Rui Correia wrote (see)

Hi, does anyone have an idea of where one could buy a descent digging fork as all seem to be really flimsy these days and the tines just bend easily?

My best garden tools are stainless steel but I can't remember the make - labels wore off years ago!  You can buy them online if you can't find anywhere local which stocks a range that you can look at. I do know that Wilkinson Sword tools have a 10 year guarantee, if that helps.  I go for 'Y' shaped ash wooden handle/shaft as they seem strongest.  The longer a digging fork is, the easier to use, but puts more strain on the tines.  Anything decent will cost £25 upwards.

Kathy 2

I have recently bought a "Dobbies" garden fork from the supermarket that is having the voucher exchange. Should have been twelve pounds odd but I used the vouchers and got it for about £6!!!! I also got some Sankey propagators for less than £3 each which I had paid over £7 for, earlier in the year. I think the offers end soon (may have even finished by now - sorry) The fork was easy and comfortable  to use.

chilli lover

Hi I'm with BobThe Gardener - mines also stainless steel and I vouch for it's efficacy in doing heavy digging. Mine doesn't have a label either sorry!

Kathy 2

The "Dobbies" fork is also stainless steel, with an ash handle. Comes clean easily when you have used it - I just wiped it with some paper towel ( and I've got clay soil)

BobTheGardener

Sounds like an excellent bargain, Kathy!