London (change)
Today 11°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
3 messages
29/05/2012 at 23:59

I am 65 and find cutting grass edges quite tiriing.  I am about to renew my garden shears and wonder if anyone can give me advice about the best shears to buy.  I cannot get along with the long handled ones as they are too heavy.  I see single handed shears are on the market but don't know much about them.  Any advice from anyone would be much appreciated.

30/05/2012 at 11:42

Spikey, I had the same problem as you although I had the best long handled shears. One day whilst using a strimmer with a swivel head I decided to try it on edging the lawn it worked a treat.
In time I learnt to put a plank down and walk along strimming the edge, this kept it straight and also cleaned the edge leaving soil instead of grass, no more problems after that.
I still use the long handle Spear and Jackson shears on weed and even bushes no bother at all.

Frank.

30/05/2012 at 13:48

Frank. Thank you for your advice.  I may give the long handled shears another try. I think strimmers are excellent. I can't use my husband's heavy weight strimmer that he uses for rough grass but a light weight electric one could be the answer.

Marjory 

email image
3 messages