London (change)
Today °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
6 messages
12/06/2012 at 22:03
Has GW done any articles on what is best when it comes to buying a poly tunnel or greenhouse? I was thinking of getting a greenhouse with the polycarbonate panes but don't know if they're worth getting or should I go for the old fashioned glass house? Is it just that glasshouses are nicer or are there other things to consider? Any feedback would be appreciated.
13/06/2012 at 08:39

Hi, Ive had both polytunnel and greenhouse. The polytunnel is great if you get it right. It can very very hot in there (very quickly) so you need to be so aware of ventilation and lots of watering, its potentially alot of work. I had to leave mine in my last garden no room now. A glass greenhouse is nice to look at but if your in a wind tunnel forget it you'll be permanently replacing glass I reckoned I could have bought a new one with the money I put into new panes. I now have replaced the glass with polycarbonate that we bought of ebay and Im delighted with it. The snow falls off it or unlike glass if it does get heavy the panes just drop into the greenhouse but dont break.. They have been known to blow out in a wind and they can travel some distance so Im now going to put dods of clear silicone on corners so they cant pop out. The polycarbonate doesnt need shading and  isnt as direct a heat on the plants. I really do like it. Thats my take on it anyway see what others say.  Happy gardening Jenny

13/06/2012 at 08:42

dods of silicone on the outside.

Its so so annoying this edit button not working!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13/06/2012 at 13:42

Ah brill, thanks a mill wee jenny.  I totally live in a wind tunnel, & I also have big dogs who play rough & could easily run into the side of it, so the polycarbonate sounds ideal.  I did think looking at one that being slightly opaque would mean it wouldn't get so hot inside, so it's really good to hear from someone who's experienced all three and can give me their feedback.  Thanks again for taking the time.  Bless you

13/06/2012 at 13:49

Your welcome dont you just love this site everyone Ive heard back from is so kind and helpful  

14/06/2012 at 09:56

I have a greenhouse, and I would always recommend that anyone buying one pays the extra for safety glass.    I have a hedgerow behind my garden and I tend to lob the odd stone or half-brick I come across over the back fence.    Once, I didn't let go soon enough and the stone went straight at the greenhouse.    I expected the glass to smash,but the stone just bounced off!    I was so surprised!   It was certainly worth the extra money, although it seemed a lot at the time.    I imagine it is the same glass that is used in patio doors, etc.   

email image
6 messages