London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 15°C
14 messages
08/06/2014 at 21:48

Hi, pegged down some stems of my ground cover roses last week. (new bare roots last winter. Not grown roses before.) Do the stems root? So eventually I  take the pegs away? 

08/06/2014 at 22:06

Hello Supernoodle, I don't think that your roses will root, no. They may do if they are encouraged to by you though. Just as if you were taking a cutting, you could try, with a very sharp knife, nicking the stem at a leaf joint and pressing that part down firmly, for about a year or so, into the soil. The rose might just put down roots then.

08/06/2014 at 22:31

I tried what pansyface suggests some years ago and they never took. I'd suggest the conventional method.

08/06/2014 at 22:53

Roases root very well. Take cuttings instead.

09/06/2014 at 00:05

they will root , but , in my experience, they'll never be " ground cover"

09/06/2014 at 06:15

Thanks guys. I'm just trying to cover the thin border with roses ( shrub roses behind, ground cover in front) rather than looking to propagate, but wondering what'll happen now I've pegged them. Don't really know what I'm doing.... How to peg ( other than to use a coat hanger!), whether to leave forever...  You'll get a query in the winter regarding pruning to tidy....

09/06/2014 at 06:29

I think the pegging is just a technique to encourage what would otherwise be lax an low growing roses to work as groundcover.  My understanding is that you leave the pegs there. Wire coat hangers seem a good idea - or plastic tent pegs?

09/06/2014 at 09:13

I have planted 'raubritter'' a ground cover rose, I was just leaving it to it' s own devices... Should I have posted this in the 'growing roses' thread?

09/06/2014 at 10:49
They were doing this on beechgrove garden last week using roses and clematis as ground cover instead of climbers. Looked a really good idea if you have the space for it
09/06/2014 at 11:25

Yes, John I saw that too.  I think they were using Rambling Rector as the ground cover rose.

09/06/2014 at 12:41

Ooh fab, got it on planner!

09/06/2014 at 13:59

I have Rambling Rector growing up a tree. He is a beast. I presume this ground cover idea is where angels would fear to tread and will never be walked upon. The old rector would grab you round the ankles and rugby tackle you to the ground in minutes.

09/06/2014 at 14:28

^...that did make me laugh pansyface...I have to say...

...I've not seen the pegging down of ground cover roses before...those named after counties would be ones I'm more familiar with, and to be honest, I wouldn't have thought it necessary....but interesting to see how things go there...

...pegging down is more usual for big shrub roses, growing in the open ground without support,  that tend to flower all at the top... in late winter you take the long shoots, I used to try and get 3 or so from each side of the bush,  and bend them towards the ground, shaping the bush like a fan...I used to use very long nails hammered into the soil and firmed in...then green string tied to these and then to the shoot, somewhere about the middle of the shoot.... the string soon gets covered with foliage as the season progresses and flower shoots develop all along the pegged down stems.....causing a whole mass of flowering all over, instead of at the top...

..nowadays most of my roses are growing on some sort of trellis or fence wires, so it's easier to achieve without using pegs...

...it's quite fun to do when you've nothing else going on...

09/06/2014 at 16:03

Personally I don't think I would use a rose of any kind for ground cover but I would use clematis.

email image
14 messages