London (change)
Today 13°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
21 to 29 of 29 messages
13/10/2012 at 00:22
Did anyone notice.monty actually used two different types of bulb planters, one had a bigger bore. For me gardening should not break the bank it's all natural!
13/10/2012 at 12:50

You're right gab, he did use two but I didn't want to complicate the issue by mentioning!

13/10/2012 at 12:54

Thanks both, good advice and I've seen the de-wit one.

eralc1968 wrote (see)

This one is nice and traditional looking although it only has one foot peg whereas I think the one Monty used (sighs...) had two!

http://www.crocus.co.uk/product/_/de-wit-tulip-bulb-planter/classid.2000009242/

Lokelani wrote (see)

We broke on, but the second was okay. It would have come from a garden centre. 

It dug really neat holes in the lawn, perfect for larger bulbs. I remember bending down all the time anyway to crumble the soil back in. I noticed Monty just popped the whole plug back in. Bulb foliage must be made of stronger stuff than I allowed for!

For clusters of smaller bulbs it was quicker to lift a flap of lawn up & tuck them all under, as they can have closer spacing & less depth.

Where the soil is looser in a flower bed & a lot of bulbs are going in, I find staying down & using a trowel much quicker. 

14/10/2012 at 15:12
05/10/2013 at 09:18

I have also been searching for Monty's bulb planter and found the precise tool, listed as an East German army digging spade! The cost was £6.99 plus postage £8.99 on ebay and would require the metal spade blade removing and a hole drilling through the base of the shaft through which a steel bar could be tightly fitted to rest your foot on when pressing the tool into the ground. I am ordering one.

A search for bulb planter long wooden shaft will bring up the entry under East Germanex army spade, and a picture confirms the rounded top of the shaft Monty was leaning on. 

05/10/2013 at 09:48

There are several listed on Amazon and Ebay. They are reviewed in The English Garden magazine, October 2013 issue.

I'm going for the Joseph Bentley long handle bulb planter.

20/10/2013 at 10:54

Maybe this is what you are searching for, it is about four foot long and the ends are shown in the pictures

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/32708.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/32709.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

If this is what you are looking for contact me chris.debanks@gmail.com for details

30/10/2013 at 19:18

Thanks everyone for very good ideas/advice - my bulbs are here so I'd better make a decision and get cracking!

Bridget.

30/10/2013 at 20:45
The gardening club chain of garden centres have them I saw them last week weren't too expensive either I think about ten pounds if you tap in gardening club on the internet should tell you if you have a branch near we live in Thanet Kent they used to be called wyvalle I think .Such a good tool .
email image
21 to 29 of 29 messages