Start a new thread

1 to 7 of 7 replies

I've got a load of cuttings and exceptionally slow growing geraniums that I think I'll have to overwinter. All I have is one of those mini greenhouses. Do you think using clear plastic boxes (the type you get in pound stretcher or ikea) would work as a DIY cold frame? I'm thinking maybe some bubblewrap or polystyrene on the bottom would help with insulation.

Are talking about pelargonium-type geraniums?  If so, I'd take them indoors onto windowsills. 

Alina W

I agree with Dove - the pelargoniums won't stand frost or extreme cold, and they also wouldn't like the humid atmosphere in a box.

gerainiums - listen to the advice above

Ive used polystyrene boxes from the pharmacy or i think you can get them from fishmongers, they offer really good insulation, line with foil to help light levels, top with perspex or glass

The advice relies on whether they are outdoor geraniums or indoor pelargoniums. Are they definitely geraniums?

Light frosts then a fleece is all you need and must be cheaper than a box? Any stronger frost then at least all the foliage will die back/stem turns to mush. All depends also if it gets winter sun or not, next to a warmish wall, sheltered spot.

The other method for overwintering Pelagoriums is to strip most of the foliage off, most of the soil and hang them dry in a frost free dark place and bring them out in early does work but they look very sorry for themselves for the first month.

They are outdoor bedding geraniums, I know they take a while to get going when sown from seed, but these are crazy slow! I've also got some huecheras and erysimum cuttings that need to grown on.