7 messages
15/08/2014 at 10:43

I've got a load of cuttings and exceptionally slow growing geraniums that I think I'll have to overwinter. All I have is one of those mini greenhouses. Do you think using clear plastic boxes (the type you get in pound stretcher or ikea) would work as a DIY cold frame? I'm thinking maybe some bubblewrap or polystyrene on the bottom would help with insulation.

15/08/2014 at 10:50

Are talking about pelargonium-type geraniums?  If so, I'd take them indoors onto windowsills. 

15/08/2014 at 19:41

I agree with Dove - the pelargoniums won't stand frost or extreme cold, and they also wouldn't like the humid atmosphere in a box.

15/08/2014 at 19:45
gerainiums - listen to the advice above

Ive used polystyrene boxes from the pharmacy or i think you can get them from fishmongers, they offer really good insulation, line with foil to help light levels, top with perspex or glass
15/08/2014 at 21:16

The advice relies on whether they are outdoor geraniums or indoor pelargoniums. Are they definitely geraniums?

15/08/2014 at 22:12

Light frosts then a fleece is all you need and must be cheaper than a box? Any stronger frost then at least all the foliage will die back/stem turns to mush. All depends also if it gets winter sun or not, next to a warmish wall, sheltered spot.

The other method for overwintering Pelagoriums is to strip most of the foliage off, most of the soil and hang them dry in a frost free dark place and bring them out in early spring...it does work but they look very sorry for themselves for the first month.

16/08/2014 at 13:38

They are outdoor bedding geraniums, I know they take a while to get going when sown from seed, but these are crazy slow! I've also got some huecheras and erysimum cuttings that need to grown on.

email image
7 messages