London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
11 messages
15/10/2012 at 20:34
Hi, I planted some crocus in a pot on the weekend (with the intention of pushing some tulips in next month and then topping with black mondo grass and some pansies). I've been using some potting compost that the previous owner left behind. It run out so I grabbed another sack he'd left open. Then spotted it was manure! After finishing next month I'll end up with roughly the middle third being manure, rest potting compost. Will I get amazing blooms or will it be too much?
15/10/2012 at 20:41
Not too late to take crocus out. They prob will rot in manure. Manure best on open ground. Replant putting tulips in first then crocus above them.
15/10/2012 at 20:46
Ok. Will do. I put the crocus in now as thought they needed to go in earlier than tulips. Otherwise would have put the tulips under the crocus. Should I wait til November and do all, or do it slightly early for the tulips?
15/10/2012 at 20:55
Why wait? Do it ASAP. Hope you have lots of colour in your pot
15/10/2012 at 20:59
Cheers Verdun. I had thought that tulips don't do well if you put them in earlier than November.
15/10/2012 at 21:18

In theory, tulips can get diseased if planted too early.

However, when planting up a tub it is best to plant the whole thing at once in September/October. The risk of problems with the tulips is not very high.

15/10/2012 at 21:20
Unless you plant them in manure...
Thanks. Will sort it this weekend.
15/10/2012 at 21:33
Tulips, ESP the modern ones, do seem susceptible to virus, etc. but I think the best way is to plant for one year and then discard them or dig them up and store. The old varieties, usually the yellow and red, seem to thrive regardless. Or buy hyacinths instead.....great scent as a bonus. Super noodle, bagged manure can be very strong. In my naivety years ago I put loads into the soil in my small greenhouse for my tomatoes and then top dressed with 3" of manure. My tomatoes were quickly gassed after a few hours of hot sunshine. We all learn, don't we?
16/10/2012 at 19:38
Got some free red tulips from my local Notcutts so am using those. Suspect they'd be old variety so might be ok. I was aware that would need to dig up / discard but thought I'd just see how they do and maybe replace year after.

I'll use the potting compost / manure under an acer that I STILL haven't got round to planting. Better hurry up.

If anyone wants to write an essay on soil/ compost / grit/ manure and how and when to use, that'd be lovely. Perhaps a feature for the magazine soon???? (although as a new reader prob my luck if it's only recently appeared)
16/10/2012 at 20:37
Super noodle, youre thinking the right way, viz., about the soil. I read a book years ago about soil.....how pathetic is that?......and I found it very helpful. I do believe iits all about getting soil right, knowing your soil and feeding the soil rather than feeding the plants. I'm sure there will be someone who can recommend a good book. Have you found out what sort of soil you have? Is it acid or alkaline? Is it heavy or light? I have a feeling you will enjoy your garden
16/10/2012 at 22:50
It's clay. Not done a ph test but the azalea and pieris look happy so must be acid. Plus I think clay tends to be? It's decent land - not builders rubble - and lots of worms so must be pretty good. I was planting bulbs in a small woodlandy bit on the weekend and was amazed by how fat some of the worms are. I thought it was a bit of root and then it wriggled! Never seen them like that.
email image
11 messages