Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

shed-and-fence-painting

Does anyone know how to successfully keep paint on a shed, please? After a couple of years, the paint is peeling off - good brand treatment used in dark oak.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

Hi Janet, a lot depends on what the wood was originally treated with.  In general nothing will stick well to anything which has been varnished for example, unless he varnish was sanded off first.  Water-based paints don't work well over oil-based stains either.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

We used Cuprinol Shades, Willow, but there are lots of colours. It was painted on bare wood and is now 2 years old, no sign of peeling, still looks new.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • HaisieHaisie Posts: 108

Thank you very much for your advice - I think I will have to do a bit of sanding!

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Janet  these new water based paints seem to have a plastic- y consistency  when  they're dry . I've noticed when I take the lids off there's sometimes a long stretchy thread of  it where it's dried round the lid. I've got a bench here which was left by the previous owner and it's exactly  like you describe. I'm going to strip it all off with a paint scraper then re treat it. It may have been originally done with an oil based paint as Bob says. Perhaps you'd have to do the same with yours, and maybe sand it as well before you re  paint. That might be the best solution. All the new wood I've painted recently seems fine but at my last house we spent ages painting a new run of intricate trellis with Ronseal paint and it looked quite poor after a few months. We think the paint didn't get time to cure properly before the wet autumn and winter.The oil based paints are far better but most of them seem to be water soluble now.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...

Fairygirl - What a great reply - thanks. It's Ronseal dark oak, apparently with added wax to last 5 years. I think my only solution is to sand it down. I don't know whether the treatment is oil or water soluble.

Busy-Lizzie, I'm envious of your shed!

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

It'll tell you on the tin Janet where it says about cleaning the brushes. If yours has an added wax in it I'd guess it might be oil based. Anything put on top of it will probably just slide off. Seems ludicrous that it's got  wax so that it's protecting it for 5 years - but it's coming off! Not a great bargain when you assume you're saving  yourself more work is it?

Definitely not doing what it says on the tin!!

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...