Start a new thread

21 to 40 of 45 replies

Berghill

Would burn ours stuff, but I forgot to leave a space for a fire when I did the garden layout. Doh!

Not sure my machinery ability is good at the moment. The leaf blower will not work and I have had to buy a new chain saw as the old one has given up the ghost.

CluelessGardener

o dear berghill your not having a good time

i feel for you

James

We try and compost as much as we can as well around the garden but wouldn't be without the shredder to be fair! Not sure what we would do without it now! It would mean far too many trips to the Tip!!

Berghill

New chainsaw arrived yesterday, so next time it stops howling gale and rain I will try it out.

Mechanic visiting tomorrow, may as well get some use out of my second son!

Berghill

Well, we stripped the Shredder and the piece which has broken is not the expensive spiral cutter, but a piece which scrapes the base plate and pushes the cuttings out of the machine. £20 as opposed to £81 or £365 plus.

Sent for one and then we shall see if we can fit it all back together.

The leaf blower has a problem with the carb. so if I can find out the make of the blower I may well be able to buy the piece for that too.

Again better than well over £100 for something I use very rarely in Autumn.

Advertisement

CluelessGardener

Berghill is a petrol Vac better than a electric vac

I have a electric vac/blower & strimmer but Happy with the electric strimmer 

James

Berghill

Depends on how big ones garden is. The battery Vac best kind lasts about 20 minutes before needing charging. Not a lot of use on our half mile or so of paths. Ditto strimmers.

BobTheGardener

Good news about the shredder repair Berghill.  What type of chainsaw did you get?  Mine is a Husqvarner and has been very reliable.  Biggest bind is sharpening the blades on the chain though - I usually use files and they don't seem to last very long - one sharpening and I need a new file!

Berghill

Bosch electric one. Found them very good. Chain sharpening is done with a round file, same file for the last 8 years, no trouble. Mechanic friend uses a Dremel Hobby thing to sharpen his. Not sure how though.

Daft thing, having a blade sharpened at the Hardware place is more expensive than buying a new blade.

BobTheGardener

I just had a google for an attachment as I do have a Dremel - they look good.  My round files are probably some cheap rubbish I expect.

Up to date thoughts on garden shredder would be gratefully received please

LeadFarmer

Lyn, thats the one I have, bought it in 2008 and its great.

I sometimes have to open it up to clean debris around the blade, especially if some green stuff has passed through it as it can clog it up. Stick to dry brown stuff and its fab.

Berghill

We have this one too. Not as good as their original one, but better than any of the other makes of this type.

Professional petrol driven ones are better still, but very expensive and for a normal size garden, not worth the effort.

Thank you all, yes I've been looking at Bosch, they seem to be very popular and effective the AXT23 TC and 25 look excellent but very expensive, will look into this one, thank you.

Advertisement

LeadFarmer

There seem to be two types. The Bosch above has a spinning blade to chop/slice the branches etc, therefore its best used on dry/brown stuff otherwise it will clog up. The other type crushes them, and is perhaps better for moist/green stuff.

I store freshly cut stems etc to dry them out before putting them through the Bosch.

Not making a recommendation, but I've found mixing dry and green when shredding helps minimise clogging.

BobTheGardener

Yes, KT53, all types clog if too much fresh grren stuff is fed in.  An ideal mix for composting is 80 per cent dry/twiggy and 20 percent green, so that's how I mix stuff as it goes into the shredder.

Mine is an Alko impact shredder (that's the type with blades) and about 15 years old.  It's only on it's second set of blades.  The design is such that stuff goes straight through and it looks very similar to the one Lyn posted.  Wouldn't be without one as I have hawthorn and wild rose hedges and shredding is the only sensible way to deal with the prunings.

Thanks guys really appreciate your comments.

... also looking at a new greenhouse, mine is very old and a number of windows blew out in a freak weak a year ago, older style and size.  The difference in prices are so far apart, it makes for a very difficult choice.  The Rhinos look excellent but unfortunately way outside my price range.