London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 10°C
12 messages
03/11/2013 at 17:12

I remember Ma getting a couple of trailer loads in for the veg garden many many moons ago.  Does anyone use it nowadays?

Our veg patch is a fairly neutral very free-draining loam and takes a lot of watering.  I'm using bought in FYM and our home-made compost and leafmould which is improving the soil structure, but I'm wondering whether spent mushroom compost would be a good addition?

What do you think?

03/11/2013 at 18:04

I get 30 sacks of it every year from a mushroom farm near High Wycombe. It's pretty cheap, and has transformed the garden over the years. Because it contains chalk it is no good if you want to put it around acid-loving plants, but the brassicas at the allotment love it!

03/11/2013 at 18:07

I don't know about the effects on the soil but we got mushrooms which made it worthwhile. Years ago though, probably all sterilised and dead now in case we catch something

03/11/2013 at 18:30

I remember Ma getting mushrooms from hers - a definite plus  

Think I shall investigate further ............... 

Anyone else with experience/views?

03/11/2013 at 20:05

Always had a huge lorry or trailer load of mushroom compost every year.  Mushroom farms locally until about 4 yeas ago.  Perfect for veg patch.  Applied it thick...6" or more......in the autumn and in spring I cultivated it into the soil surface.  Produced superb crops without weeds.  Also used it as thick mulch around everything ESP hellebores.  Except couple of camellias I grow.  Azaleas, pieris. Rhodos etc grow in large pots and kept away from mushroom compost.

Mushroom farms not so prolific.  Now amd then I get load of manure too as well as recycled compost from the council.  

High in lime but low in nutrients.  To allow for any chemicals in it......always bought as organic mushroom compost......I apply in autumn and allow the winter rains to wash it through the soil so that come the spring the compost is "clean"

03/11/2013 at 20:09

So I need to organise myself next year and get some delivered  next autumn.  Wonder if I can get it bagged - only a narrow access to the back garden.

03/11/2013 at 20:22

I get mine in 50 or 75 litre bags, you should be OK with those, Dove.

I'm sure you will find plenty of suppliers on-line.

03/11/2013 at 20:30

Cheers Pentillie 

There used to be lots of mushroom farms around East Anglia in the 50s and 60s - all those WW2 airfields with empty aircraft hangars which got turned into mushroom sheds.  

03/11/2013 at 20:34

I make all my own compost but used mushroom compost on a flower bed a couple of years ago, flowers seemed to like it, it was slighlty clay soil and I dug the mushroom compost in. The bed is teeming with worms now.

It cost's about £1.10 a bag here, a local nursery sells it. There are two local mushroom farms so I suspect it can brobably be got for free.

03/11/2013 at 20:42

Yay, looks like I've found a supplier 

http://www.gnicholls-services.co.uk/mushroom_compost.htm

03/11/2013 at 21:54

Decide first folks if you want to keep your soil acid.  If so. Avoid mushroom compost.  Most of the soil in Cornwall, away from the coast,'is acid ....Blue hydrangeas, camellias,,azaleas, Rhodos, etc therefore flourishes.......and using mushroom compost would spoil those plants.

03/11/2013 at 22:21

Not acid here Verdun - blue hydrangeas in pots in this garden 

email image
12 messages