London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 17°C
20 messages
20/08/2013 at 21:49

Hi everyone,

Im am 21 year old whos just finished studing Countryside Management and Conservation at University, 

Always been a massive gardener and love to read Gardeners world.

Since finishing university i have been working a some what self employed gardner in some lovly gardens throughout cornwall. 

ive seen the oppunity to make money here and decided that borrowing tools off my grandad is no longer suitable and i need some of my own. 

Now from your eperience do the stimmers that cost under £100 di the job or is it best to invest the money on a big named brand

look forward to you replys and if you have time please check out my page im trying to raise some money for tools as my cars died so saving for a van 

http://www.gofundme.com/3z6qz8

20/08/2013 at 21:53

Oh don't go there. Go fund yourself. Start with spelling lessons.

20/08/2013 at 21:53

Don't ask anybody here for a push Jacob. A lot of dodgy knees and backs.

I think you should buy the best tools you can afford. And buy ones that fit your body size. Nothing worse than struggling with something that is too big/small.

20/08/2013 at 21:54

ho hum 

21/08/2013 at 07:46

To be 100% honest I'd say as i always do and with complete experience of both gardening and common understanding of how making and selling anything goes ''I'd go for one of the best makes on the market,

I had my own stihl strimmer for some 20years now never had any problem with it and it really is used every few weeks as i have banks to keep looking nice and the places in the garden the lawn mower can't get to,

The design is such that it fits all size of person and is a virtue in itself.

Now the very important part of any strimmer first is to make sure it has some sort of carrying harness so your not carrying the weight of the strimmer as your trying to cut the grass etc,

Ive seen so many people trying to control the machine and take the weight and work in a safe way, 'these machines can spell danger"

My own machine has a full (two arms through the harness and a belt around the waist ) and then the machine clips onto this supporting harness and the machine itself is fitted with what looks like handle bars (may sound daft but i can work all day "and i do mean all day and feel no aches or pain from using this machine)

Both the design and price have not really changed much over the years and today your looking at around £300 for the petrol one,

This to my mind is the rolls royce in machine companies and have been going for many years, spare parts are available if needed and they have their own service dept's where you buy the machines from. I did buy this companies chain saw after the long term use of the strimmer and being very happy with its design and use,

I wouldnt do that if i'd found any bad useage problems.

Now when buying and you see very cheap makes on the market

just ask yourself how much did that make cost the company to make ?

then the cost to the selling outlet? And why so cheap?

If you want qualitiy you have to pay for it.

Last but not least "how many second hand styilh's do you see on the market ?

Buy quality and buy once "buy cheap" and look out.

21/08/2013 at 07:50

PS to the above,

Make sure if nothing else safe is worn "You wear eye protection"

its a must

bits of flying twigs etc can blind you.

21/08/2013 at 07:57

As you say nut- ho hum!!

It's just a load of old strimmers folks- fidget's right. 

21/08/2013 at 09:49

Smokin, its a scam. He's not after your advice, just your money.

Either that or university educations have really been dumbed down.

21/08/2013 at 10:37

Scam

Do you know we had a gardener in my home Village (Market Rasen) that use to have a trailer on the back of his push bike and got all his tools from the local tip.Also in his spare time he was a ditch digger for the council and always had a scythe and sickle in his trailer 

sum kids

21/08/2013 at 17:23

I can assure you im no scam or selling anything to anyone,

What i advise on is all ive learnt over the years and nothing more,

But more important than the  person asking is that this forum is read by lots of people who just might have the same question ref whats the best way to do something And by reading what others have done will take the right road to getting what they're after.

And ref anyone after my money !! think again ,

Its already a sad world "but when you cant try to help someone when asked without thinking they're after something "well"

As ive said Sad.

21/08/2013 at 17:50

I didn't say you were a scam, smokin, just that the original posting is. If you dont believe me ,click on the link he has "gofundme"

21/08/2013 at 18:02

Me to Fidget 

smokin I looked at the link before I wrote my post as well 

by the way the gardener story is true that man could clear ditches for miles in a day it was amazing OK it was 20 years ago 

James

21/08/2013 at 18:39

If it's not a scam then God help us all because if that's the standard of grammar and spelling by someone capable of getting to University - the entire education system needs a serious kick in the nads.

21/08/2013 at 21:59

Im sorry if ive been taken for a ride,

I thought because of the spelling etc this was a chap trying to make a living

But now im not so sure,

Fairygirl "What's nads???

If this is a scam ! then all i can say is "SORRY" if ive said the wrong thing,

Its such a shame people spoil what is a helping sort of forum.

Sometimes its hard enough trying to understand what the hells going on in the world anyway what with old men being beated to death, 6 month old baby being

killed, people being stabbed etc,Chemicles being used to kill people in this day and age (didnt we learn anything from the last world war?)

Its all strange to me and sometimes i really do feel like just gardening and never talking to anyone, But not everyone's evil and i couldn't walk past someone in need of help,

Lets just stick together and be odd together and not join the nutters club.

21/08/2013 at 22:14

Personally I think this bloke is probably not even in the uk. probably nigeria or phillipines.

As fairygirl says, if that is current university standard, gawd help us.

I was idling through some internet shopping sites. There is a fake one for mulberry handbags on special. Its hilarious. Its so obviously written by someone with a bad dictionary, translating from ???, but the sad thing is , it pulls some people in.

Last week I had a letter from someone purporting to be in China, promising me millions if I would let him pay an inheritance through my bank account.  Yeah really, I just give them my bank account details, and all of a sudden it gets drained. Oh and he says I should keep it secret. The shame is I don't  have a bank account in that name anymore, and havn't since I got divorced 18 years ago.

22/08/2013 at 07:09

hI Fidgetbones,

We have a father in law (wifes dad) and after mum died a few years ago now we we're very worried how he'd cope, he's very much his own man and always has been but he's also the sort he'd give you his last penny,

One day he said he 'd bought a PC and he was going to learn how to use it and send us "e" mails etc,

I was worried sick because of todays world and people like you've just talked about getting hold of info they shouldn't,

His health isn't good these days as he's 84 this year,

Anyway my other half (her indoors) said to me dont worry dad wont even talk to our answer phone, So the inter/nets got no chance.

(If he rings us and the ans/phone comes on he say's "Im not talking to some stupid box ring me back".

The PC lap top he bought sits in the draw as he said to me "the daft words used like mouse" they think i dont know what a bloody mouse is (wrong mouse dad this one wont eat cheese)

And when my wife tried to show him how to use the lap top his very words to her we're "dont they teach kids how to spell anymore and whats all these L.O.L etc etc,

But the biggest modern day gadget laugh was when i talked him into buying his first and only new car,He'd always had old cars and as we said "dad we're all ok, we've all gone our own ways and it's up to us to make our own mistakes and pay our own way, he's not wealthy but as most old people have done he owns his own furniture, home and lives to his needs,

It's only a little car but its got all the stuff in it "ie key fob locking device, sat nav,

And the "The dreaded car security alarm system,/electric windows

Well the first day he'd got the car everything was shown to him and he being a man just nodded and said he'd sort it all out,

He went to Tesco's more for a drive than anything,

And when he came back to the car he had trouble using the key fob to get into the car and so once in the car the fourways started blinking the alarm horns started blasting out but he being a man decided to drive the 4 miles home and get the hand book and read it,(it hadn't been opened yet)

As he drove along the main road bus's would flash him to warn him his 4 ways we're on ,

People turned round and looked as if to say what the hells going on with that old mans car "horns blasting".

As he pulled up out side his house "a cul-de-sac" curtains fluttering as nieghbours glared out to see if the circus was in town,

But as he got out of the car three little kids stood there to greet him and one asked

"Are you the ice cream man"

And so as i think you'll understand i was in a way pleased "Dad" gave up on the lap top, I'd hate it if anything happend to him after he'd gave me a loving wife 38 years ago,

All because of people's ways of today We still to this day ask him if he has any odd balls calling him/sending him letters etc,

And still to this day he tells us to mind your own !!!!

I can look after myself,

My only form of attact to him is "have you managed to wind down your car windows yet,

The smile he gives me in return for that remak was worth buying the all modern car for. "elecrtic window'w and all)

22/08/2013 at 07:39

Re 'nads' SD- you're a man and I'm not. You have them and I don't..........

22/08/2013 at 13:43

Oh! gotcha

i know what you mean now (they named a whale after it )

23/08/2013 at 17:16

Don thaks for the story about the car I now can't stop smiling to myself, classic

of for a ice cream now

James

23/08/2013 at 23:01

Glad it brought a smile to your face,

Life should be 90% smiles

email image
20 messages