Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Tomato Growpots, any good?

I see The Greenhouse People are selling off their Growpots. Has anyone tried these? Are they any good?

http://www.greenhousepeople.co.uk/clearance/pack_of_3_growpots/?utm_source=Growpots+March+2013&utm_campaign=Accessories&utm_medium=email

http://www.greenhousepeople.co.uk/images/products/original/thumb_440x400/pack-of-3-growpots1.jpg

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

I am waiting to hear about these, I have never tried them

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• LeadFarmerLeadFarmer Posts: 1,496

I just wonder why good they can be if they are clearing them out?

• Have thought about getting these but still wondering. It looks like the tomatoes would have a bigger root ball which hopefully would stop the dammed things falling over. maybe i will give them a go and then one of us will know for sure

• LilylouiseLilylouise Posts: 1,013
    I use them for growing my cucumbers - we got ours as part of a competition prize so didn't actually buy them. I think they are useful for cues as it is easy to keep water away from the stem

I use flower buckets with the bottom cut out for my tomatoes and think this is just as good image

Pam LL x
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

They are very expensive. We were given some many years ago and still use them. Cleaning afterwards is not problem, we just soak them in a bucket with dilute Jeye's Fluid.

But why pay all that money? The rest of our toms are grown in bottomless plant pots on Growing bags.

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    Don't they have a double ring that you put plant food or water in so plants take it in slowly.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

I think they are on the expensive side and Q why they are being sold off but can see the benefit of using them when growing cucumbers as cues don't like their stems being wet.

I use bottomless pots in the GH for those plants in the bed or in grow bags, ( flower buckets with the bottoms cut out) and water the bed... mainly...only watering the pot if it looks dry or I'm gonna be away for the weekend.

Me thinks it's an expensive gimmick for the lazy gardener who wants to water less frequently... and the downside of this... you go into the GH less frequently and miss pests which can take a hold very quickly..

• We have them and have used them for tomatoes grown outdoors only, not in the greenhouse. They do facilitate watering and feeding and the plants have indeed had substantial root balls. Not a fat lot of good however since the tomatoes invariably get blighted outdoors. Not gong to strongly recommend them cos there are indeed cheaper alternatives!

• LilylouiseLilylouise Posts: 1,013
    Meant to say I use flower buckets with the bottoms cut out on top of grobags!

Pam LL x