London (change)
Today 20°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
5 messages
18/08/2012 at 15:22

I have been given an old galvanised watering can, but there is a lot of rust in the bottom. It is watertight.  Is it ok to use?  Anything the rustiness will do good or anything it will do harm?  Very many thanks, Maggie

18/08/2012 at 16:11

As long as it is not leaking use it, keep water in it as it is mainly the reaction of air that oxidises steel, keeping a full can of water in the green house, or in my case several helps with humidity which the plants like.
Every item we use gives off some sort of aura, a zinc coated can will take up minute amounts of zinc though in the case of tomato's that helps, plastic gradually deteriorates all reactions we have to live with so do not worry, anyway in a one and a half gallon can the dilute substance would be minimal.

Frank.

19/08/2012 at 12:31

That sort of answes a question i have about an old galvanised bath I intend to use as a small water feature. I have seaked the bottom edge but it is going rusty, Hopefully this means once full of water I won't have to do anything more to it. Am I right?

19/08/2012 at 15:49

Bjay anything made of metal will in time rot although you fill it with water the outside will rot it could take a years or so.
An old watering can will not matter but a loved water feature would. I assume it will be standing on its base so a coat of paint on the outside and say a thin liner from a Garden Centre put inside and clipped to the edge will give you years of use.
No matter what you use be it a large plastic or earthen pot after plugging the base adding a thin liner will give you a belt and braces effect.
The liner would also stop the slight Electrolytic effect you get with water and zinc.
Frank.

22/08/2012 at 17:52

Many thanks Palaisglide

email image
5 messages