Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Belfast sinks

I bought two on Ebay last night image Planning on using one for a wildlife pond, not sure about the other one yet. Has anyone got any pictures of their sinks that might inspire me, please? Both as ponds and planters. Thanks.

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

You are very lucky to get those.There is another thread just started up on these, you may pick up some info on there. Type it in the search box at the top of the page.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

•  I have already read it but thank you. Why am I lucky to get them ?

• star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 17,654

Cos there is a few of us trying to get one, especially me lol image

• I thought they were quite easy to pick up and cheap too ?? I bought mine on Ebay for £10 each. There seemed to be quite a lot on Ebay when I did a search.

• I don't have any photos but we used a Belfast sink as a pond for a few years. As I recall the problem was finding a way of sealing the plughole which wasn't harmful to wildlife. I think we used a clear silicon sealant but it was 20 years ago. We now use it as a planter for small alpines but it's been rather neglected. We painted the sides with yogurt which was supposed to encourage moss but hasn't really.

• Forgot to say but you probably know, they are very heavy empty so get them in place before you fill them.

• We have one as a pond, I shall try to remember to take a photo of it for you tomorrow. We bought a metal plug for sink and then sealed it with aquarium sealant, which is fine for wildlife and has kept the water in!

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

It depends where you are Hartleyhare as to whether they are easy to get, as they are collection only. I was lucky to get mine for £5 for 3 and am quite pleased with them seen as I am quite new to gardening. They needed a bit of TLC but I don't mind that.

Sorry I couldn't be more inspirational on the other thread, they are work in progress for me at the moment as I was unsure what to do too, definitely keeping the seasonal one at the front though and the alpine one but that needs a bit of 'tweeking'.

• Orchid Lady wrote (see)

It depends where you are Hartleyhare as to whether they are easy to get, as they are collection only. I was lucky to get mine for £5 for 3 and am quite pleased with them seen as I am quite new to gardening. They needed a bit of TLC but I don't mind that.

Sorry I couldn't be more inspirational on the other thread, they are work in progress for me at the moment as I was unsure what to do too, definitely keeping the seasonal one at the front though and the alpine one but that needs a bit of 'tweeking'.

Orchid Lady wrote (see)

It would seem that you have had a bargain at £5 for 3  image I would be interested in seeing more photos when you have them. I'm fairly new to gardeing too. I like the idea of it but I'm afraid my imagination and enthusiasm exceed my knowledge of practical application image

• Here's my pond for you to take a gander at. It's only a year old, but has already got a bit of wildlife lurking in it. It's not looking it's best at the moment, because the plants haven't really started growing much yet. Hopefully this helps. Ask away if you have any questions.