London (change)
Today 12°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 6°C
21 to 24 of 24 messages
13/04/2013 at 23:09

sunflower seeds? better than peanuts? i have no idea what blue tits like, as you can probsbly tell...

14/04/2013 at 07:52

Yes, the birds love sunflower seeds - particularly the sunflower hearts that have had their black husks removed - we get so many different sorts of birds on our feeders and they prefer the sunflower hearts to anything else.  We get goldfinches, greenfinches, chaffinches, blue tits, great tits, coal tits, robins and nuthatches come to our feeders.

Also at this time of year it's advisable not to put peanuts out for the birds (unless chopped up) as some birds will try to feed them to the nestlings and choke them!

14/04/2013 at 08:17

Sunflower hearts indeed but the birds in my garden hav their own fav foods.

The Blackbirds and the starlings love the Mehlworms. The Robin and the blue tits like the suet pellets, (epecially the red berry ones.) The Wood pigeons eat all the stale bread or cakes and the pig bad magpie just likes scaring all the others. I shoo the magpie away, its just nasty. Oh and the cows get some leftovers to and the darn seagulls just love making noise and crap on my car!

04/05/2013 at 22:58

murce!

Thanks for all the advice - had no idea about peanuts so will stop using them for a bit.

Time to buy sunflower seeds!

Funny you mention the suet balls - I have had several out on the washing line, all rich in seeds, brand new, and the tits won't touch them! Sob.

However, I did see a tiny wren hopping around on my sedum roof the other week, picking out insects and worms, so I'm quite happy now

PS: what's the best contracption to put seeds into? I had a sunflower-shaped one but everything kept getting soaked and mouldy, so I gave up on it...

email image
21 to 24 of 24 messages