London (change)
Today 18°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
8 messages
22/03/2013 at 17:54

I am puzzled by the regular appearence of four robins on the bird table. This is March, and I would have thought by now they would have become territorial. I was expecting there to be just a pair, hopefully nesting in our garden. What do you all think?

22/03/2013 at 18:07

Have you looked at the thermometer? I think if I was a robin I'd be having second thoughts about starting a family in this weather too!

22/03/2013 at 19:15

They obviously know that it is going to be a wonderful summer and that there is no rush!

22/03/2013 at 20:58

I think you've probably got two pairs - your feeding table is on the boundary of their territories, and at the moment, with the scarceity of food beause of the weather, they're far too sensible to argue about territories - if they don't have access to enough food for themselves in these hard conditions, they'll be too frail to hatch a brood, let alone feed and raise them 

23/03/2013 at 10:35
We have loads of robins this year , obviously nesting close by
23/03/2013 at 12:44

Keep putting out mealworms for mine but the blackbirds keep stealing it.

23/03/2013 at 13:39
2 males in the garden at the mo, trying not to get too close to one another, but seem to be tolerating each other. The food is buried in the snow, so they are taking whatever falls from the feeder above. Steep slope so will try to get up there if it stops snowing.
23/03/2013 at 14:29

Just topped up the bird table with some more mealworms and have just seen four robins . Sure there will be a big scrap in a bit.

The mistle thrush has been back as well , always a treat to see him/her.

One good thing about the snow (probally the only one ). I get to see a lot more birds.

email image
8 messages