Start a new thread

1 to 20 of 21 replies

Hi guys,

Does anyone have any tips for covering exposed pond liner around the edge of a pond?

Thanks,

Justin

Dovefromabove

We edged our wildlife pond with turf - it worked really well ......... until this spring when the damp turf was totally trashed by magpies and blackbirds gathering the wet soil to line their nests with   so now it's back to the drawing board - I think we may be planting evergreen ferns to hang over the edges. 

WillDB

This is often a headache! Any pics of the pond in question? If the pond hasn't been dug yet it's a lot easier, but doing this after the installation is tricky.

Ceres

I have stone slabs around my pond (would prefer not to but we all have to make the best of what we have) and have planted creeping thyme next to the slabs. The plants are making their way across the slabs and over the pond liner and have hidden quite a lot of the exposed "rubber".

Some people use large pebbles to camouflage the pond edge if the slope is gradual.

Advertisement

Justin

We have just installed a new pond. We banked up the edges and laid turf over them like Dovefromabove. Then between that and the water, threw down a ring of washed purple slate so the wildlife can get in and out.

I have then set plants into both the turf and slate to soften the effect.

Lyn's recommendation of Wetland Plants is a good one. I only discovered this site last week and ordered a selection of marginals, floaters and dead cheap lilies. The plants are great value, came really quickly - in great condition. Some of the offers are embedded in other sections, so make sure you keep clicking on all the links!

Steve the Gardening Vet

I installed a fibreglass pond last year and as it isn't quite level, I am seriously considering having to strip it down and start again...

I will of course preserve all the water and beasties within. I'm not amused at my own stupidity.

Hostafan1

Hi Steve. I was asking yesterday if anyone had " seen " you. 

Fairygirl

Steve - good to see you're still here! Shame about the pond  Is your ground clay?Maybe a bit of movement that's caused the problem rather than a 'dodgy' spirit level 

Steve the Gardening Vet
I was reasonably sure it was level when I started filling it. Made the mistake of not checking it as it filled!
Fairygirl

Steve - what a complete pain in the you know what  

Would it be possible to plant some low growing evergreens round the edges and blend them in to your other planting to disguise it? It's such a lot of work if you have to remove it and start again.

Steve the Gardening Vet
I have ajuga there and a couple of lysmachia but they aren't covering the dark green vertical surface!
Fairygirl

Looks like you'll have to get digging Steve 

Advertisement

Fairygirl

Have you got any of those big pliable trugs Steve? They're ideal as holding tanks till you're organised. Even cheap builder's black buckets will do the job. I know what you mean though...get your waders on! 

Gillian53

The far edge of our small pond is higher than the front edge sadly. there was no other way to dig it.  I brought the liner over the edge of the pond, made a 'slot' with a spade about 3" away and tucked the liner edge down into it. I then laid double strips of hessian over the edge and into the water. Then I put the turf up to the lawn edge and hessian edging.As long as the hessian was wet and acting as a wick the grass was green and grew down nearly to the water. It's now dangling into the pond and the only exposed bit is where the blackbirds bathe and then pull out the grass!!! Love the blackbirds.

We were so frustrated with this same dilemma several months ago, and ended up finding Rock on a Roll. We didn't even have to empty the water in our pond or waterfall, but just moved rocks that were on our black pond liner, and laid down this rock-like liner over it. It feels like rock, it looks like rock, but it is super malleable. What is nice is that it is really thick and strong so it doesn't puncture, and was thus easy to work with. Just had to share since it saved us a lot of headache, and was fairly cheap. $30-40  for 3ft x 8ft roll. If you want to see before and after photos I wrote a post about it on my little blog to help fellow pond owners hear about it: 

http://www.mimiberrycreations.com/2017/08/cheap-and-easy-natural-pond-liner.html

Last edited: 11 August 2017 21:12:44

The honourable herpetologist

I had the same problem and ended up using creeping jenny, which did a good job of softening the area where the rocks meet the pond liner.

creeping jenny will happily spread across the liner even when there is no soil to root into.

Last edited: 13 August 2017 11:05:01