London (change)
Today 18°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 12°C
18 messages
09/04/2013 at 10:56
Hi all, This is my first entry, so here goes. Just as the weather looked as if it was warming up, the wind is back in the NNE again, never mind I don't think it will be long now, before we get better weather !!!! I hope. The reason for this new thread is, can anyone inform me on anything to do with Fritillaries (Snakes head). As I've grown a dozen in a pot this year, and several of them have double heads, one of them is in flower, and the rest have buds on them. So I am taking photo's every two or three days. Any infomation would be gratefully received, no matter how small. Good Gardening Terry 2
09/04/2013 at 11:13

What do you want to know Terry?

09/04/2013 at 16:09

Seems a shame to keep em in a pot, get them into the ground. You got somewhere to plant them ?

09/04/2013 at 16:19

They prefer moister soil, but cope well if dryer too, providing they're not in full sun.

Watch out for Lily beetle attack too, sorry. J.

09/04/2013 at 16:45

I noticed mine are about ready to open today  I love these pretty little flowers but as jo4eyes said keep a look out for the horrible lily beetle...unfortunately they too love them!

09/04/2013 at 17:44
thank you for your replies, but I do know a little about them, we have some in the flood plains in Oxford, so I know they love the moisture.
The reason for planting in a pot is that I have not prepared the natural flower bed for them, I have also planted a flower meadow mat (with seeds sewn into squares on the mat). Due to ill health I have not been able to prepare the natural flower bed.
21/05/2015 at 17:32

I planted a few in a pot this spring and they flowered, but I don't know what to do for the best with them now. There are two seed heads - the others may have been eaten I think, and the other stems have dried out and turned yellow. The bulbs seem to have migrated to the surface of the compost and split where the stem emerges. is this usual? I tried to add a photo but it wouldn't work (tech skills worse than gardening ones...)

21/05/2015 at 20:05

Going back to Jo4eyes's comment, Fritillaries have no problem with full sun; the 2 million in North Meadow at Cricklade are just fine.

22/05/2015 at 14:49

Hi

as I mentioned on another thread I am growing a number of wild flowers in pots/troughs. I fine it easier to match the soil needs and as mentioned elsewhere I find it easier to make sure that the soil isn't too rich.

My fritillaries have flowered for the second year in a pot. I used a pretty humus-rich compost/soil mix (added composted manure from a garden centre) but sat the bulbs on a bed of grit in case they rotted. I planted a small stipa tenuissima grass as companion planting but it's grown and I will need to replace it in case the frits struggle to get through next year. 

I  tried to upload a picture but can't due to some Radajax error or something, sorry!

Glad of the lily beetle warning - their larvae have to one of the most revolting garden creatures known to man.

Edd
22/05/2015 at 15:00

stevew1975 ignore the error. just press return and the pic should appear.

22/05/2015 at 15:04

Thanks Edd... here goes

25/05/2015 at 19:17

Hello Edd

are you able to e-mail me to help me through?

If I "return" after selecting my file without clicking "Upload" I get and can't bypass the error message and the same happens if I "Upload" and then "return". If I hover over the "select" my filename begins with C:\fakepath.

Maybe I'm being thick or maybe my Windows XP has a config issue. 

Edd
26/05/2015 at 10:13

Click green tree icon.

A small window will appear with two tabs showing one for (your computer) and the other for (an external site).

Hit your comp tab and then pick select. This will take you to your computer files (new small window) where you can pick your file and press ok/open. The window will close and you will see your file name appear in the box next to the select button.

Now hit the upload button. This will probably cause a error window to open (Radupload ajax callback error with lots of text). Press return or the X (top right) 

Then wait till it appears in the small window. This can take a while so be patient.

When it appears press the save button and wait again. It should appear in the reply box but again this might take time.

Some files can be too big and will need to be cropped before they will load.

Hope this helps.

31/05/2015 at 11:40

hi Terry2, I planted fritillary 4 years ago in a pot and set the pot in a flowerbed, then let them go to seed and die back.  They have now seeded themselves all round the garden and come up in expanding numbers.  They have done the work for me without any special preparation on care and every spring I get new surprises.  I love it when plants just do there thing

07/06/2015 at 21:05

hi quick question redarding the Snakes Head seed heads, any one know how long they take to release the seed? im on constant lilly beetle watch until they do.....

08/06/2015 at 06:57

Mine haven't thrown their seed yet.

08/06/2015 at 12:08

I think it depends on how hot and dry the weather is,  if it remains cool and wet the plant doesn't get the signal to die back, I'm in Northern Ireland, it takes forever here and then in july they suddenly die back and throw seed

09/06/2015 at 19:47

wish they would hurry up they r getting eaten by everything......

email image
18 messages