London (change)
Today 28°C / 20°C
Tomorrow 25°C / 16°C
6 messages
09/04/2013 at 10:56
Hi all, This is my first entry, so here goes. Just as the weather looked as if it was warming up, the wind is back in the NNE again, never mind I don't think it will be long now, before we get better weather !!!! I hope. The reason for this new thread is, can anyone inform me on anything to do with Fritillaries (Snakes head). As I've grown a dozen in a pot this year, and several of them have double heads, one of them is in flower, and the rest have buds on them. So I am taking photo's every two or three days. Any infomation would be gratefully received, no matter how small. Good Gardening Terry 2
09/04/2013 at 11:13

What do you want to know Terry?

09/04/2013 at 16:09

Seems a shame to keep em in a pot, get them into the ground. You got somewhere to plant them ?

09/04/2013 at 16:19

They prefer moister soil, but cope well if dryer too, providing they're not in full sun.

Watch out for Lily beetle attack too, sorry. J.

09/04/2013 at 16:45

I noticed mine are about ready to open today  I love these pretty little flowers but as jo4eyes said keep a look out for the horrible lily beetle...unfortunately they too love them!

09/04/2013 at 17:44
thank you for your replies, but I do know a little about them, we have some in the flood plains in Oxford, so I know they love the moisture.
The reason for planting in a pot is that I have not prepared the natural flower bed for them, I have also planted a flower meadow mat (with seeds sewn into squares on the mat). Due to ill health I have not been able to prepare the natural flower bed.
email image
6 messages